Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Painted my Jerry Cans this weekend

Old 06-28-2010, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted my Jerry Cans this weekend

I tink it looks better than the red..

Compared to the red

Old 06-28-2010, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

It looks awesome! You matched your body color perfect! Here's mine! Flat black with the Imperial Logo and a Bantha Skull! Masking the designs on the can were a pain but alot better then ordering a vinyl decal! I know in Ga it illegal to have gerry cans painted! They must reamain red but I haven't had anyproblems yet! Cops seemed very laxed here!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks.. I did mine in the garage to save $$. I almost did flat black.. and after seeing yours I might have to change it up. Those look really good.

Originally Posted by Darth JK
It looks awesome! You matched your body color perfect! Here's mine! Flat black with the Imperial Logo and a Bantha Skull! Masking the designs on the can were a pain but alot better then ordering a vinyl decal! I know in Ga it illegal to have gerry cans painted! They must reamain red but I haven't had anyproblems yet! Cops seemed very laxed here!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I "tink" they look good! I like the green!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

Default Prep, Primer, Paint.

They all look great. Mind if I ask what prep, primer and paint you used?
I was wondering if I could do a decent job with Rattle Cans?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 AM
JK Super Freak

looks great guys, i may be doing mine today if i get bored enough, i like the black though,
Old 06-28-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did mine with rattle cans. I just sanded down the cans, not all the way to bare metal just got all the clear coat off then cleaned them. I had a local shop make up some dupont color match paint(just left over from the dash pieces) I did 2 coats of the green. Then I used a clear coat from UPol.

Originally Posted by CAOKKIE
They all look great. Mind if I ask what prep, primer and paint you used?
I was wondering if I could do a decent job with Rattle Cans?
Old 06-28-2010, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

I just sanded them down well! First with a rough and then a smooth! Washed them down! Primed them with rustolium primer! lightly sanded them! Hit them again with the primer and sand! After that I used rustolium flat black! I did 3 light even coats! As for the images! I masked the area completly with blue painters tape! Covering the whole surface area! Blew the design up on my cpu and printed it out! Took some spray adhesive to the back of the printout and layed it on top of the blue painters tape! With a surgical knife I then cut out the design only peeling off the image and painters tape underneath to exposed the area that I wanted painted white! after I cut out the design completley I cover the can with a plastic bag and taped it off around the design to resolve any overspray from getting on the flat black! I then sprayed rustolium flat white on the exposed area in about 3 coates! Let it sit overnight and then remove the bag and tape slowly! It is pretty painless if you take your time! You could use a sealent I guess but I wanted mine to remain flat and I have had them on my jeep for alomst 6 months now and they still are holding up just fine! Hope that helps!
Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darth JK
I just sanded them down well! First with a rough and then a smooth! Washed them down! Primed them with rustolium primer! lightly sanded them! Hit them again with the primer and sand! After that I used rustolium flat black! I did 3 light even coats! As for the images! I masked the area completly with blue painters tape! Covering the whole surface area! Blew the design up on my cpu and printed it out! Took some spray adhesive to the back of the printout and layed it on top of the blue painters tape! With a surgical knife I then cut out the design only peeling off the image and painters tape underneath to exposed the area that I wanted painted white! after I cut out the design completley I cover the can with a plastic bag and taped it off around the design to resolve any overspray from getting on the flat black! I then sprayed rustolium flat white on the exposed area in about 3 coates! Let it sit overnight and then remove the bag and tape slowly! It is pretty painless if you take your time! You could use a sealent I guess but I wanted mine to remain flat and I have had them on my jeep for alomst 6 months now and they still are holding up just fine! Hope that helps!
Did you switch your "!" and "." keys again? Crimeny!
Old 06-28-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Default Hahaha!

Didn't realize it at all. I might need to switch them back.

Quick Reply: Painted my Jerry Cans this weekend