Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

painted muffler mod

Old 04-05-2009, 05:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my bad man! i didnt mean to kill your excitement. but it can be easily fixed just like you said by sanding and repainting...i just haven't gotten around to it yet...but you really did make it clean and even
Old 04-05-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw your mod and had to do it too. I went to Home-Depot anh bought Rust-oleum High Heat in a rattle can. It says it is good up to 1200 deg.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Winyah
I saw your mod and had to do it too. I went to Home-Depot anh bought Rust-oleum High Heat in a rattle can. It says it is good up to 1200 deg.

Right on, it’s a simply mod, but it fit my budget nicely. A few things that I found made the process easier (it still sucked so badly). I used a heat gun to warm up the rubber hangers that hold the muffler. At first I tried just getting them warm, but eventually had to make them almost hot to the touch to really make them flexible. I used a ton of spray silicone as well. I'm sure a hair dryer and any type of lube will substitute. Removing the passenger side hanger is an absolutely mental feat. I recommend coming into the project well rested, mad and with a lot of caffeine in you
Old 04-05-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

I did the same thing awhile back and my paint came off of the right side of the muffler. I used high heat Engine paint but didn't prime it. I've painted it 3 other times and it lasts for a couple weeks then washes off.

Good luck with yours.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good

I'm thinking I should find some submarine paint for mine
Old 04-05-2009, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4WHLN
I did the same thing awhile back and my paint came off of the right side of the muffler. I used high heat Engine paint but didn't prime it. I've painted it 3 other times and it lasts for a couple weeks then washes off.

Good luck with yours.
Too bad... have you just been touching it up each time or completely doing it over?

I just went for a drive and when I got back I checked it out (OCD?) the finish actually looks smoother now, like the heat cured it.

Anyways, thanks for the replies, I'll report back in a few weeks I guess.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tkob1060
looks good

I'm thinking I should find some submarine paint for mine
Like to swim?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smuhhh
Like to swim?
my jeep sure does
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-trails-tales-71/snorkel-test-day-03-29-09-wharton-water-world-79488/
Old 04-05-2009, 09:48 PM
JK Freak

Painted my exhaust with flat black engine sparay paint about 6 months ago and no chipping or pealing. Just dirt an mud stains.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:11 PM
JK Newbie

I just painted mine as well a couple days ago. After lifting the jeep, I was standing behind it looking a the ugly muffler that was now even more noticeable. Like someone else in an earlier post, I had some grill touch up paint and decided to give it a try. It is rated at 1000 degrees. I didn't take the muffler off (because I'm lazy ), instead I wrapped pieces of cardboard around it to protect other parts from overspray.

I've driven about 350 miles in the last couple days, and so far the paint is holding up well. It only chipped off in one small spot where I can tell I didn't clean the surface well enough.

Even if it needs touched up here and there, it's a 10 minute job that makes the rear of the vehicle look much better.

Quick Reply: painted muffler mod