Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Overhead console ideas

Old 01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overhead console ideas

I went looking for metal, and I think I have come up with the ideal material to use to make an overhead console. Metal building manufacturers have what they call C Purlins. I found some in various widths, but the one that would fit the best is 10 inches wide. This will fit right between the sun visors. It is 16 guage standard, or roughly 1/16 inch thick. However it gets it strength from being formed in a c shape with squared corners. From reading load ratings on this, it shows capable of handling 120 lb load per foot on a 20 ft unsupported span. I guess the sky is the limit as to how you would configure it, maybe a drop down door with your cb radio on it so it would be out of sight unless needed, convenience lights on each side, switches, etc. Was wondering if anyone else has thought of this or tried it. I picked up a 7 ft piece for $13, so I can make 2 for nothing. Any comments or ideas greatly appreciated. Here is a link for technical data such as sizes and load data.

flexospan.com/products_cees1.htm"]http://www.flexospan.com/products_cees1.htm

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-24-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Overhead console ideas