Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Open carrier offroading pics?

Old 04-01-2010, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open carrier offroading pics?

any one running open carriers and have some badass wheeling pics?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Not sure if these are bad ass enough but here's pics from one of the few times someone had a nice camera along with us wheeling...

Wings Fan and I both have X's with open diffs. His is open in the front with the stock LSD in the rear. Mine at this time was open/open...now I have an LSD too! He's in the red. me the silver.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Couple more. Wish you could really see the angles and rocks we encountered. And the trails we couldn't take pics on...

BTW, this was at Bundy Hill in Michigan

Old 04-01-2010, 07:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Last set...

Wheeled all day, didn't break anything on my JK. Only had to winch out once. Guy in a Rubicon broke his front disconnect (wasn't disconnected...hahaha). And a guy with a stock Rubi lost a rear fender. All in all a great day on the trails.

Nut Check trail was the best, but no pics of that as we spent most the time sliding into trees. lol
Old 04-01-2010, 07:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

selectable open differentials count?
Old 04-02-2010, 05:13 AM
JK Freak

yeah those are some sweet pics
Old 04-13-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

bump, any one else wheel open with no intentions of locking?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

awesome pic man got anymore? I was debating lockers but yeah i have to realize i got this to be my DD and be my offroad warrior. being a broke college kid i cant afford for stuff to be breaking out of the blue so i think i might just add a lsd
Old 04-13-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Freak

I've had several jeeps with Detroit lockers that I used as a DD. They also went off road without breaking anything that I'd call "because I had a locker." So I don't really agree with the theory that adding lockers breaks parts. Your right foot breaks parts.

I spent a week in Moab and probably had the button pushed on the rubi lockers for under 5 mins total. If there was a timer I wouldn't be surprised if it even came in under 2 mins total. There are places where they're nice and even some where they're necessary. But there's a whole lot of time when they just make things a little harder to navigate. If you aren't getting stuck a lot with one tire spinning and the other doing squat, or you don't mind possibly being pulled up something then don't spend the money.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi

Here are some of mine - currently open differential with LSD and 4.10s - will be regearing to 5.13s down the line and get front and rear lockers in the future. I agree with sburggsx above - Lockers won't necessarily break anything - it may cause someone to be overly confident and do something that might break something . Bottom line, when something breaks, it was usually because the driver pushed it beyond the limit or did something they shouldn't have. Breakage can happen even on a bone stock vehicle. Just my

Quick Reply: Open carrier offroading pics?