Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Official JK BUGGY by CAROLINA TRUGGIES build THREAD 8/4/08

Old 02-12-2009, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuka
But those things are just dyno queens. The torque curve is laughable (just look at a dyno sheet). You put one against a bigger engine with a nice torque curve, and it will lose badly on the strip (which they almost always do). Not to say forced induction is bad, I love it. But only when its done properly to make for a better torque curve, not a worse one.

Torque is relative to weight. less weight can get away with less torque. My honda was a perfect example. It made 550whp on 23psi and around 420-430ft-lbs of torque. It had no problem running mid 10's in the quarter mile and was daily driven, ie: full weight full interior + a roll cage. Might wanna educate yourself just a tad more on the dyno queen thing. I've hurt quite a few people's feelings with my car that has an engine with less displacement then a jug of milk. Effeciency is everything!

Back to topic: This thread has come so far. Love to pop in from time to time and check out what's new. keep it up!

-Chad-
Old 02-12-2009, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuka
Thats not what I was refferencing. If you look at the dyno sheet for a 'tuned' Mk4 Supra, they have about 120hp until right around 4500ish rpm, at which point the power jumps up to about 450-500hp instantly. Making the car very undrivable. Which is where the term 'dyno queen' comes from. They make high peak numbers on a dyno, but the power its not usable for half the cars rpm range.

Most Hondas I have seen are peaky, but nothing like that. They are very drivable. But you are 100% right about weight vs torque. A lighter vehicle does not need as much torque. With that said, Mk4 Supras weigh in at nearly 4000 lbs :P
Man, your just strikin out huge today! Might wanna double check the weight. THe only supra I've ever seen that weighed that much had about 700lbs of audio equipment in it. THe MKIV's weight around 3210lbs + or - about 50-70lbs depending on transmission and coupe or targa..

As far as rpm range vs usable power. Who cares if it doesn't start spoolin up till 4500, just rev it higher. any decently setup supra or any car for that matter only needs a power band of about 3500-4000 rpms. So 4500-8000 is nothing of a supra. heck my civic didn't make any power till 5000rpms, but I also didn't shift till 10,000rpms. So, again, you points are not valid.

Now to not futher ruin this thread. We can take this to PM's if you'd like me to school you a little more on a small displacement motors with FI.

-Chad-
Old 02-12-2009, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKChad
Man, your just strikin out huge today! Might wanna double check the weight. THe only supra I've ever seen that weighed that much had about 700lbs of audio equipment in it. THe MKIV's weight around 3210lbs + or - about 50-70lbs depending on transmission and coupe or targa..

As far as rpm range vs usable power. Who cares if it doesn't start spoolin up till 4500, just rev it higher. any decently setup supra or any car for that matter only needs a power band of about 3500-4000 rpms. So 4500-8000 is nothing of a supra. heck my civic didn't make any power till 5000rpms, but I also didn't shift till 10,000rpms. So, again, you points are not valid.

Now to not futher ruin this thread. We can take this to PM's if you'd like me to school you a little more on a small displacement motors with FI.

-Chad-

It wasn't even worth my time to argue that point, but thank you. As stated its all about efficiency. When the power comes in is dependent on application and use.
That supra would run high 9s in the quarter but who cares if it cant spool til 4-5k, he's not rock crawling with it.
People that say turbos are horrible offroad are idiots, if they had any clue how to match a turbo to application and use they would make more power than a supercharger with zero lag.....oh well

Back to the Jeep
Old 02-12-2009, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

i love the build. i plan on eventually getting the aev hood like too.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Painted my grill with Dupicolor Bed liner...gonna do the hood next

Old 02-13-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Looking great!

Have you considered painting the fenders to match?
Old 02-13-2009, 08:55 PM
JK Super Freak

I would definitely consider that, but the fenders are coming off for tubes
Old 02-14-2009, 04:03 AM
JK Newbie

Why are you keeping the hood and grill black???
Old 02-14-2009, 04:51 AM
JK Junkie

The grill looks awesome, I'm thinking of doing that to my Jeep Green colored jeep
Old 02-14-2009, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by x No Compromise Offroad x
Painted my grill with Dupicolor Bed liner...gonna do the hood next

Will be interested to see how the hood looks. I am considering this too. Honestly I wish we could buy our Jeeps with a Krylon paint job and save a grand or so. The darn things are going to get brush beaten and rock chipped so quick that it pays to have a nice touch up option. Bed liner is a nice option if you can get it to go on smoothly enough. Anyone else?

Quick Reply: Official JK BUGGY by CAROLINA TRUGGIES build THREAD 8/4/08