Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Off Rd Trailer (Kamparoo) vs other mods - thoughts wanted.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Off Rd Trailer (Kamparoo) vs other mods - thoughts wanted.

Looking for some input on a scenario I have unfolding.

I bought my Jeep in June last year and to date it's still stock from a performance perspective. My plans were to add a LOD Armor-lite mid width bumper and 10K winch this spring, and then a TF leveling kit and some 33's this coming fall. In the past few days I have come across an opportunity to pick up a used Kamparoo Cub off-road trailer. It's very spartan, basically a tent on wheels, but I have some changes in mind that could really improve it.

So, my dilemma, should I pick up the trailer now and delay my mods, or go with the mods and grab a trailer later. My instinct says delay the mods, because off-road capable trailers are a rare commodity in my parts, unless you wanna pay big bucks for a new one, big bucks I don't intend to spend.

From a practical perspective, I will be doing the majority of my travels with my wife and young daughter. That, combined with the fact that I am relatively new to wheeling, means I likely won't venture into anything too crazy until I'm more comfortable, and the stock setup should be fine. I know the winch is viewed by many as a safety precaution, but I'm not likely to go anywhere too hairy until I either have one, or am with someone else who does. I do have a hand winch, tow straps and soon to add a high-lift.... so I'm not completely barren if I get bogged down. I'm thinking if I get the trailer now I can use it this summer for some great family trips, and do the other stuff later.

Just looking for some thoughts from others. I know many here have a world of experience and being a newbie, appreciate your opinions. At the same time, if anyone has had, or used, a Kamparoo, I'd love to hear your opinions. I searched the forum, but there is very little on the Kamparoo.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Look in the thread campers and trailers. They would have better advice. From what I could tell from their website I wouldn't take one off road. Look at tenttrax and sierra4x4trailers. They are meant to take off road
Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you plan to stay somewhat tame for a while, then the kamperoo will probably be okay. However as you gain off-road experience then the camping bug will get more extreme and the kamperoo will not meet those needs. Suggest either Sierra Trailers or Overland Trailers. Real bottom line is look at what you want to do long term and head out with that goal in mind for the camper and your jeep. Chances are you and your family will enjoy them both much better.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Depends on where you want to go. If you are just doing mild off-roading (fire roads and stuff) then a trailer might do ya good. I'm not sure about that brand, since I don't have any experience with it.

If you think you will be getting anything with some technical terrain, I'd skip the trailer and concentrate on mods & storage. Trailers are great for bringing extra gear along and keeping a lot of weight off the roof, but they can really bog a group down.

How much experience do you have going off road? If you are a beginner or novice I'd concentrate on learning in the Jeep and getting more experience before tossing a trailer into the mix.

Just my two cents.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rush54
Looking for some input on a scenario I have unfolding.

I bought my Jeep in June last year and to date it's still stock from a performance perspective. My plans were to add a LOD Armor-lite mid width bumper and 10K winch this spring, and then a TF leveling kit and some 33's this coming fall. In the past few days I have come across an opportunity to pick up a used Kamparoo Cub off-road trailer. It's very spartan, basically a tent on wheels, but I have some changes in mind that could really improve it.

So, my dilemma, should I pick up the trailer now and delay my mods, or go with the mods and grab a trailer later. My instinct says delay the mods, because off-road capable trailers are a rare commodity in my parts, unless you wanna pay big bucks for a new one, big bucks I don't intend to spend.

From a practical perspective, I will be doing the majority of my travels with my wife and young daughter. That, combined with the fact that I am relatively new to wheeling, means I likely won't venture into anything too crazy until I'm more comfortable, and the stock setup should be fine. I know the winch is viewed by many as a safety precaution, but I'm not likely to go anywhere too hairy until I either have one, or am with someone else who does. I do have a hand winch, tow straps and soon to add a high-lift.... so I'm not completely barren if I get bogged down. I'm thinking if I get the trailer now I can use it this summer for some great family trips, and do the other stuff later.

Just looking for some thoughts from others. I know many here have a world of experience and being a newbie, appreciate your opinions. At the same time, if anyone has had, or used, a Kamparoo, I'd love to hear your opinions. I searched the forum, but there is very little on the Kamparoo.
I just looked at the Kamparoo web site I would go for it, it will give you the capabilities to take long range long term expeditions, it looks like a capable trailer. If you can afford it I get would a winch even if I had to put it on a stock bumper mount. I went the offroad camper route also, I use it for a base camp and then explore from there. I think the camper would help you get out there easier as you can keep it loaded with gear and just hook and go at the spur of the moment. If you want to see what we have done with our trailer check out my thread in show and tell titled 2 Door Expedition Rig and Trailer - Michigan to Colorado 2012. Youre Jeep and Trailer would be capable of this kind of expedition just the way it is, the winch and a pull pal would help get you out of any unexpeteg trouble.

Quick Reply: Off Rd Trailer (Kamparoo) vs other mods - thoughts wanted.