Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

no crank on a hemi conversion project

Old 05-24-2009, 04:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any luck on turning it over? I've been caught using bad grounds before too, it's amazing what a difference it makes. Keep us posted on whether or not the starter was good.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by therza
I don't have the old starter as the bone yard I purchased the motor from throws them away or sells them to be refurbed. Buy I did call a Jeep dealer and verify that this is the only starter for that year/model.

Yes, I can hear the starter bear down, but it does not seem to have the power to spin the motor - like it cannot draw the amps. No click, click, click.

The battery is good and the connections are tight. I am thinking it has to be a ground issue. The location I ran the stud in for grounding was painted. I should have sanded it first. the inside of the hole was probably rusty so the threads may not have enough bite.

I plan to pull the starter and make sure it spins up.

Don
I think you're on the right path. I just wish I was having that problem too....3.8 just doesn't have enough balls.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure its a ground problem. Start there and i am sure you will fix it fast. Keep us posted.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will definetly post the results. I can't get at it as it is locked in my friend's body shop. I am going to work on it first thing tuesday morning. Starting with cleaning up the pad and threads on the block ground for the battery harness. I really think that is the problem.

Thanks for all of the ideas and input. Much appreciated. I have been planning this for 2 years. Doing it on a tight budget, which so far is intact. No major surprises.

Don
Old 05-25-2009, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by therza
I will definetly post the results. I can't get at it as it is locked in my friend's body shop. I am going to work on it first thing tuesday morning. Starting with cleaning up the pad and threads on the block ground for the battery harness. I really think that is the problem.

Thanks for all of the ideas and input. Much appreciated. I have been planning this for 2 years. Doing it on a tight budget, which so far is intact. No major surprises.

Don
I'm planning on doing a "tight budget"Hemi conversion myself. Would you mind sharing some of the details as to what you've done to keep the cost down? Did you use the AEV kit. I see that Bornsville has a kit that is less expensive but seems less complete.

I know I will be going with a used engine and trans comination. As nice as new would be it costs a lot more plus you have to spend about 1600 or so on parts to dress a crate motor. Using a used motor you seem to eliminate most of that expense.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Junkie

Most paint is an insulator. So definately get that all off. Also, use a volt meter ont he battery while you have somebody turn the key. If the voltage drops down to much, it means the battery is not charged enough. The battery should be around 12.8-13.5 with no load on it. If it drops below 12, give it a charge.

While you have the starter pulled, stick 12V to it and see if it spins on its own.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well my buddy called this morning to say he had to open the shop to shoot some clear on some panels. So I drove over to try and fix the no crank problem. I removed the main block ground that the battery harness uses just in front of the starter. I sanded the paint off the "pad" area and used a 1/2" wire round wire brush (plumbers brush) to clean the rust off the threads in the block. I was surprised to find rust under the paint on the surface of the pad. It took some considerable sanding to get down to shiny metal. But the real surprise was how much rust was in the threads in the block! A lot. Took several runs in with the wire brush to get to bare metal threads. That is all I did and it fired right up. No issues.

thanks for everyone's help and ideas. I appreciate it. I know that electrical problems can be hard to find, but this one turned out to be easy.

Don
Old 05-25-2009, 01:44 PM
JK Junkie

Good to hear it was a simple fix
Old 05-25-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Chuck45,

Sent you a PM with my story.

Don
Old 05-25-2009, 03:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Could you imagine going as far as tearing into the motor because you didn't go there first Good job bud Another lesson learned by me through someone elses problem.....

Quick Reply: no crank on a hemi conversion project