Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Nitto Trail Grappler's 285 70R17

Old 03-29-2013, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitto Terra Grappler's 285 70R17

I decided I needed to take a road trip with my college aged kids on spring break, we decided to drive from PA to the Keys in the Jeep. My 2011 Rubicon had 45K on the original shoes/shocks and needed to be replaced. I had been thinking about new tires but nothing was pushing me until now. My JK is my daily driver plus I spend allot of time in the sand on the Jersey shore fishing. I of road occasionally but nothing serious - a few trails in central PA and my family's 30+ wooded acres. The original MT's were getting crazy loud and I knew the shocks were dead. After a few sleepless nights trying to make a decision at the last minute I decided on the Nitto Trail Grapplers - I went the widest I thought I could get away with and went with 285 70R17's.

Well, one week and 4,000 miles later I am very happy with the decision. The 285's on the stock smoked rims look great - are so quiet I can't believe it is the same JK and my gas mileage actually went up a notch which I was not expecting at all. I was worried about rubbing, I did not want to lift the JK but I would have added spacers - not necessary. I can get them to lightly touch if I hang on the steering wheel at full lock but that was it. They did very well in the rain - better than the stock MT's. For the shocks I stuck with stock replacement Monroe Sensatrac's, simple and inexpensive.

For anyone looking to stay close to stock IMO you cannot go wrong with the Terra Grapplers. I had no idea how bad the original tires were until they took them off, they were cupped from the bad shocks - my bad, I should have paid more attention to them and it explaines why they were so loud. They had plenty of tread which is why I ignored them, at my age I should know better.

I will load a better picture later. I think the 285's look great on the JK. I took these somewhere on the Road in the middle of FL.

Last edited by NorthWalesJK; 03-31-2013 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Wrong Tire name
Old 03-29-2013, 11:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those look like terra graplers in the pic?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:16 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
those look like terra graplers in the pic?
Glad you like your new tires...x2, those look more like "Terra's" rather than "Trail"...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	439962   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	439963  
Old 03-30-2013, 09:37 AM
DMB
JK Newbie

I agree. When I read that the gas mileage went up I went??? I run trail grapplers on my silverado and they are 74 pounds apiece and kill my mileage. Those are definitely Terra
Old 03-31-2013, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

Default I got the name wrong - They are Terra's nit Trail's

Completly my bad - I was in too much of a hurry to type. They are Terra Grapplers. I looked at the Trail Grapplers but decided I was more interested in a better ride.

Quick Reply: Nitto Trail Grappler's 285 70R17