Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Newbie question? Hemi Engine

Old 02-08-2010, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question? Hemi Engine

So I'm thinking about having a project jeep and basically building it from scratch. The plan is to find an older jeep in decent condition, get two D44 axles, etc...The question is will any Hemi fit into a jeep? Like taking a 5.7 dodge ram Hemi and putting it into a jeep?? (DISCLAIMER: I am not a Mech. but family is and could install, redo, just about anything) My grandparents run a wrecker service and has plenty of connections and we can get parts pretty easily. I'm about 95% positive I need a conversion kit for the engine but correct me if I'm wrong.

Like I said I am not a mech. but a college student going into the education field, but would love to have some sign of grease on hands for in the future when family is not around. Trying to learn as I go.

Any other thoughts, tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dj
Old 02-08-2010, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

use the search function....
Old 02-08-2010, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

It would be just as quick to post a yes or no, or no response at all if you didn't know. Not asking for a complete right up just some simple answers, but thanks anyways
Old 02-08-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Default Not Just Any Hemi Will Work

You must use care when seeking out a Hemi for use in a Jeep. AEV makes a fantastic wire harness that takes a huge amount of the work out of the equation. However, you have to be careful when locating a Hemi. You need to find one out of a Jeep Wrangler or Commander. If you try to use one out of, say, a Dodge RAM, you will find that everything is mounted in the wrong position. It will end up costing you a small fortune to get everything moved around with new brackets. I would suggest dropping an e-mail to the folks at American Expedition Vehicles and asking them for their recommendations.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default OOPS a Slight Correction

I meant to previously say you need to find a Hemi from a Cherokee or a Commander.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:27 PM
JK Super Freak

You can do it with both the car and truck Hemi's.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy
You can do it with both the car and truck Hemi's.
x2 on this, the Truck engine will not be the easier one but both can be done, good luck friend

forgive our rude "worthless comment, use the search nazi" member
Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepnewbie22
So I'm thinking about having a project jeep and basically building it from scratch. The plan is to find an older jeep in decent condition, get two D44 axles, etc...The question is will any Hemi fit into a jeep? Like taking a 5.7 dodge ram Hemi and putting it into a jeep??.......................... Thanks

Dj
Dude you can made anything fit into anything else. You asked about and "older" jeep most of the responses thought you meant JK. If you want what might be easier then you have to get more specific . Taking an old body and putting new running gear is a extremely fun project but best suited for a master mechanic, if you have to pay other people then you need to be rich. The fun is in doing it yourself .

Last edited by toymaster; 02-09-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys for all the resposes and helpful tips.

Yes I do mean a "older" jeep, but I'm talking about maybe in a year or two, sorry probably should have stated that. Hopefully by then I can find a Jk that someone doesn't want anymore and like stated rebuild the whole jeep.

As far as paying people to build that shouldn't be a problem, (not that I'm rich), but my family is an expert of cars and trucks and can do most stuff ourselves.

I was kind of wondering on what I would need like the hemi for one, because I've got plenty but didn't know which to install.

Any more tips on how to go about this project, what is needed, tips, other write ups, websites would be awesome. Thanks again
Old 02-09-2010, 03:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepnewbie22
Thanks guys for all the resposes and helpful tips.

Yes I do mean a "older" jeep, but I'm talking about maybe in a year or two, sorry probably should have stated that. Hopefully by then I can find a Jk that someone doesn't want anymore and like stated rebuild the whole jeep.

As far as paying people to build that shouldn't be a problem, (not that I'm rich), but my family is an expert of cars and trucks and can do most stuff ourselves.

I was kind of wondering on what I would need like the hemi for one, because I've got plenty but didn't know which to install.

Any more tips on how to go about this project, what is needed, tips, other write ups, websites would be awesome. Thanks again

check out Burnsville Offroad's site...if it a Jeep and has had an engine swapped into it...most likely we have Dan from BOR to thank for doing it first
....he's also not opposed to having his brain picked from time to time

tips

-- have a welder, practice how to use the welder (if you don't already know)...things
will come easier and cheaper then IMO

-- find a wrecked JK, find a donor engine then pick up a computer from BOR or AEV
or whoever

-- then.....let the parts fly and have fun wrenching

Quick Reply: Newbie question? Hemi Engine