Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

New Wrangler MT/R Review!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default New Wrangler MT/R Review!

We spent a few days out in Moab last week for the 2009 Easter Jeep Safari. This year we sported 5 new Goodyear MTR with Kevlar (37x12.50R17). We are happy to say they took every beating we could throw at them and practically begged us for more. The highway drive from Phoenix to Moab and back was super quiet given we were riding on MT's. I don't know of a quieter MT on the market right now. On day one, Tuesday, we took our MTR's up Poison Spider Mesa. (Fantastic Trail BTW) We could hardly get them to chirp on the slick rock. On the few sandy sections the tires pulled hard and on the boulder sections they flexed, grabbed and held strong. Wednesday we were out in Area BFE running Green Day. (A little tight for the 4dr JK but worth the Austin power maneuvering) Gravel, steep climes tight corners and some nice boulder sections through the trees were again, no match for the new MTR's. On our last day we drove Kane Creek Canyon. With over 50 river crossings we paddled through a fair amount of Mud, water, sand and gravel. While the center section did cake a little the wider tread blocks designed for the mud pulled strong and cleaned out quickly. Big thumbs up from us on these. Goodyear has done very well in the design of this new MTR.

I also encourage anyone who is running the new Wrangler MT/R to share their experience with us as well.

Pictures for show.

Last edited by Discount Tire; 04-14-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are those tires directional??
Old 04-14-2009, 11:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are asym so front to back rotation only.... saw them in person yesterday at a local shop (35s) the yare pretty tough looking. I wish they were just a little more aggressive looking.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

a buddy of mine ran these in Moab, the road nice and we're not to loud. its hard to judge traction in moab. Everything grabs, but they feel soft.

I plan on picking up a set of 37's
Old 04-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Michigan Mike
Are those tires directional??
Originally Posted by greenamphibious
they are asym so front to back rotation only.... saw them in person yesterday at a local shop (35s) the yare pretty tough looking. I wish they were just a little more aggressive looking.
The new MT/R is asymmetrical nondirectional. They are not left and right designated so once the tires are mounted, they can be rotated from side to side. It may look weird if you're not used to asymmetrical tires but on one side of the vehicle you will have lateral grooves going towards the front of the vehicle and on the other side the lateral grooves will be going towards the rear of the vehicle.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah after seeing them in person in Moab, I can say my next set of tires will definitely be Goodyear MT/R. The guys at Goodyear say they'll take the Pepsi challenge with my BFG KM2s on road noise and offroad traction any day. I think the BFGs are still great, but after seeing the GY in person, I think its worth a try. Thanks for the review DTD!
Old 04-14-2009, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

My 40's waiting for install with my Rock Jocks this weekend!

Old 04-14-2009, 04:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by STEALTHTJ
My 40's waiting for install with my Rock Jocks this weekend!

Damn show offs! There's one in every crowd. Make sure you show it off again when it's all together. I bought a set of tiny ones (35's) and I can't say enough about their Moabability. They were as quiet as passenger car tires going there and back. Then when they left the road, man did they perform well. From the sand dunes at Behind the Rocks, Hummer Hill to The Launch Pad on Golden Spike, those things stuck better than the KM2's I had before. I always thought the BFG 's sidewalls were too stiff. These really widen out when aired down. I was running them at 18. I'm trying 15 next time out.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-14-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Super Freak

OK fug it... I am getting 35 MTR K tomorrow
Old 04-14-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I used a set of 35s (35x1250x17) while in Moab for 2 days. Some running around on Thursday and then on Fins and Things on Friday. I started at 15psi and then went down to 10psi Friday morning. At 10psi, I felt i would run a little less next time if needed. 10psi even felt good on the road. I could drive this psi all week in Moab without any issue (although no manufacturer will recommend this).

I can't say enough great things about my experience with the tires. Sticky, quiet, great looking, good ride, etc... I have been a BFG man for years. BFG makes a great tire and found the perfect sidewall before any other tire company. I think Goodyear has caught up and passed them now. With a tri-ply sidewall, one of which is kevlar, I think Goodyear will take over the market. They definitely made a statement in Moab this year and they will be my next tire.

Quick Reply: New Wrangler MT/R Review!