Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

New Winch and Bumper...its getting there slowly

Old 05-24-2010, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Winch and Bumper...its getting there slowly

Well i convinced the wife to let me make a purchase. Well a couple purchase's. I got a Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper with end caps. I still need to get the hoop. It was out of stock. And i got a Smittybilt XRC8 winch. Got it installed on Saturday while we had some crappy weather. I do notice the front sagging a little but i have a RC budget boost to put on and i do have rims sitting in my basement. The next purchase will be tires. Then i MIGHT be done....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-05-24_14.44.49..jpg
Views:	134
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	69363   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-05-24_14.45.19..jpg
Views:	108
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	69364   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-05-24_14.45.03..jpg
Views:	135
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	69365   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-05-24_14.44.35..jpg
Views:	133
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	69366  
Old 05-24-2010, 12:08 PM
JK Super Freak

You shouldn't lie like that! Looks great!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good man! I just got the same bumper and winch in the mail today, but w/o the caps..I am going to run the stinger eventually but I can't install it tonight because I have work all night!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kabookie10
Well i convinced the wife to let me make a purchase. Well a couple purchase's. I got a Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper with end caps. I still need to get the hoop. It was out of stock. And i got a Smittybilt XRC8 winch. Got it installed on Saturday while we had some crappy weather. I do notice the front sagging a little but i have a RC budget boost to put on and i do have rims sitting in my basement. The next purchase will be tires. Then i MIGHT be done....
No you will not be done the jeep bug has bitten you. plus after tires you will realize you need gears.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks great, but you'll never be done modding it, it's a wrangler thing
Old 05-24-2010, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes it has bitten me again... When i bought it, i vowed to leave it stock, but even though its a jeep, it doesn't look like a jeep should. So the mod bug bit me and i have accepted the fact that i can't and won't leave it stock. I'm sure once the tires go on, i'll be doing gears and lockers. Then get some rock sliders and some skids and armor. I have yet to take it offroad but i'm getting that itch also. I just don't want to go alone. I need to know who is in north east ohio and when to go. I'm a newbie to offroading so i don't know much. I would need alot of coaching.

Thanks for the compliments. I was unsure about how the bumper would look sitting stock height and stock wheels and tires. But i'm pleased. I just need that hoop now.

I did the install myself and it took me about 5 hours. I installed the bumper and was nervous i would have to uninstall it to install the winch, but there was enough room to install the winch with the bumper installed. Some air tools would have cut down on the install time greatly.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kabookie10
Yes it has bitten me again... When i bought it, i vowed to leave it stock, but even though its a jeep, it doesn't look like a jeep should. So the mod bug bit me and i have accepted the fact that i can't and won't leave it stock. I'm sure once the tires go on, i'll be doing gears and lockers. Then get some rock sliders and some skids and armor. I have yet to take it offroad but i'm getting that itch also. I just don't want to go alone. I need to know who is in north east ohio and when to go. I'm a newbie to offroading so i don't know much. I would need alot of coaching.

Thanks for the compliments. I was unsure about how the bumper would look sitting stock height and stock wheels and tires. But i'm pleased. I just need that hoop now.

I did the install myself and it took me about 5 hours. I installed the bumper and was nervous i would have to uninstall it to install the winch, but there was enough room to install the winch with the bumper installed. Some air tools would have cut down on the install time greatly.
Good to know about the bumper and winch install, it would be a pain to install the winch first into the bumper and then install the bumper! Post up a thread in your staging area and people in your area will know your interested in wheeling and go with you. Thats your best bet, and just remember to take it slow! Good luck
Old 05-24-2010, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

It would have been alot easier to install the winch with the bumper off the jeep but i don't think i would have been able to manhandle the bumper and winch at the same time. It would have been difficult. Plus one thing i noticed, if i installed the winch before hand and then installed the bumper and winch as one unit, the power cables for the winch could have binded on the grill. I had to take the winch off a few times and fine tune the cables to get them to not rub on the grill. It was a little difficult to get the winch cable thru the fairlead but i managed with some string to guide it. The only bolts that were hard to tighten were the front bolts on the winch. But by saying difficult, i couldn't use a socket to tighten them. I had to use a box wrench to get to them but there was plenty of room to get the wrench on and tighten them down securily.

Also some insite on the bumper. i was a little scared about the quality of the bumper being it was not that expensive. I must say this bumper seems to be pretty stout. It might not be as stout as an LoD, Shrockworks, AEV, ARB, ect... but for the money it is enough for me. I wouldn't put it through any competition rock crawling but for the average offroader looking for a heavy duty bumper that is winch ready, i feel it will handle some hard abuse. Plus being able to take off the end caps and have a stubby bumper makes it all more appealing for me. I like to have the ends for street use and maybe some light wheeling but for more hard core and rocks, its nice to be able to remove the end caps for better clearance.

Sorry for the long posts and the poser shots, but its all i can do right now. Hopefully this information is somewhat good for someone. And if i'm incorrect about anything let me know as i don't know it all, and want to learn more.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

Looking Good ! Welcome to the addiction ( I mean the Jeep )
Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Too bad you aren't in GA ... I bought the Bumper Hoop to try to attach to my bumper and decided not to hack it up. It's brand new .....

Quick Reply: New Winch and Bumper...its getting there slowly