Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

New Rockhard rear bumper...

Old 07-25-2008, 01:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by excrider450
i had the same problem with mine, it was the tire carrier sliding up/down the post it latches on. fixed it by welding on a latch clamp simular to the ones on the lod bumper
Do you have pics of your latch mod?
Old 07-25-2008, 03:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DAPS rule!
excrider how would you say the noise level is after your fix? I'm looking at getting this bumper and tire carrier combo.
none. of course when the unit vibrates it has a different noise but not squeeks or clunks. the latch also cuts down the vibrations. wish i didnt break my camera, id send some pics
Old 07-25-2008, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

this is the type of latch i used. i put it on the front of the tire carrier and bumper. you'd need to weld it so you dont hit the mechanism in carrier. the closer to the edge (drivers side) the more leverage it will have. i also made sure it cleared the handle to the highlift jack
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	destaco.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	11222  
Old 07-26-2008, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by excrider450
this is the type of latch i used. i put it on the front of the tire carrier and bumper. you'd need to weld it so you dont hit the mechanism in carrier. the closer to the edge (drivers side) the more leverage it will have. i also made sure it cleared the handle to the highlift jack
Can you borrow your favorite neighbor's camera and post this mod? Some of the rattling must be from up and down movement on the bumper, so I'm thinking you attached it so the tire carrier is pulled down onto the bumper tighter. Is this accurate? Did you drill the bumper and carrier, weld it, or both?

I already had the washers to decrease the front/back travel/force of contact between the carrier and the tail gate. Don't know how this would or wouldn't help as it was done this way from the start.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

In researching before I bought this, I heard very little about rattles. Now it seems that they all rattle...
Old 07-26-2008, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mmcan
Can you borrow your favorite neighbor's camera and post this mod? Some of the rattling must be from up and down movement on the bumper, so I'm thinking you attached it so the tire carrier is pulled down onto the bumper tighter. Is this accurate? Did you drill the bumper and carrier, weld it, or both?

I already had the washers to decrease the front/back travel/force of contact between the carrier and the tail gate. Don't know how this would or wouldn't help as it was done this way from the start.
i'll see what i can do. there can be movement in/ out. for this you adjust the bump stop. theres nothing stopping the up and down movment until it maxes out on the latch pin. the latch clamp will stop both directions of movement because it snuggs the upper and lower pieces together. this latch is rated for 1500 lb. this is a solution. also you want to be sure your not getting up/ down movement on the swing pin by shimming and tightening the big ass nut
Old 07-26-2008, 11:00 AM
JK Freak

hope this helps. i used 1/2'' bar drilled and tapped then welded to the tire rack and then the bumper. by doing this im able to have enough steel to bolt through without running the bolts into the carrier latch.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	base plates.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	11242  
Old 01-07-2009, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed mine a little while ago and I took measurements of the rear ride height before and after the install. The rear ride height dropped only 1/4".

For all you with the "drumming" sound. You need to take out one of the shims under the bottom carrier bearing and move it to the top. Once in position there needs to be a load on that rubber bumper. If it's drumming there isn't enough load.

No rattle from my latch either. Loosen up the stricker post with a Torx wrench and move it towards the tailgate some.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice bumper.

Quick Reply: New Rockhard rear bumper...