Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

New Member - '12 Rubicon

Old 10-12-2011, 04:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member - '12 Rubicon

Hey guys. New member here. Just bought a '12 Rubicon in silver. Coming from a 2000 Grand Cherokee (WJ) on Clayton Long Arms. So far I love the Rubicon.

Although I installed the Clayton long arm kit myself, I opted to have a shop install the BDS 3" lift on the Rubicon. The price was too hard to beat. I opted for some Mickey Thompson Classic II Black rims and Toyo MT's.

Most of my offroad driving will be at my hunt club and at Uwharrie Offroad Park in NC.

One thing I wanted to ask was about the steering. After the lift, the steering seems very "flighty" on undulating back country roads. I have a feeling it's the caster. It doesn't look like the shop installed the cam bolts on the lower control arms and instead just put the regular bolts back in. I haven't been able to crawl under and measure the caster yet due to some rain we're having right now. I'm hoping it'll let off today so I can get under there and take some measurements. I suppose it could be the toe also, but it's unlikely that it changed while installing the lift.

Before lift:

After lift (sorry for the crappy pic - early in the morning at work):
Old 10-12-2011, 05:00 AM
JK Freak

Caster is mostly the "flighty" feel. I am not a fan of the caster bolts and would recommend lower control arms eventually. Nice Jeep!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:10 AM
JK Junkie

I second Jeep2007's reconning on the caster. I would also suggest LCA's, they are a good addition for their price.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Well, I just got under there during lunch and measured the caster at 3.5 degrees. That would explain it. I called the shop and they didn't have a very good answer as to why they didn't put the cam bolts in. Regardless, they're going to put them in and set the caster a bit higher. I'll eventually get the adjustable lower control arms but for now, I just want what was included in the kit that I paid for. They should hold up good enough for a while.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by JakeMate
Well, I just got under there during lunch and measured the caster at 3.5 degrees. That would explain it. I called the shop and they didn't have a very good answer as to why they didn't put the cam bolts in. Regardless, they're going to put them in and set the caster a bit higher. I'll eventually get the adjustable lower control arms but for now, I just want what was included in the kit that I paid for. They should hold up good enough for a while.
I would strongly suggest waiting and installing adjustable arms. One you install cam bolts you will need to have washers welded onto your brackets.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension
I would strongly suggest waiting and installing adjustable arms. One you install cam bolts you will need to have washers welded onto your brackets.
I don't understand. Can you explain this?

According to the BDS instructions, there's nothing that needs to be welded. It looks like they're using a octagon shaped washer with the factory bolt. The instructions are here on page 5: ht tp://bds-suspension.com/instructions/014310-1.pdf

Last edited by Robar; 10-12-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Please do no post clickable non-sponsor links
Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JakeMate

I don't understand. Can you explain this?

According to the BDS instructions, there's nothing that needs to be welded. It looks like they're using a octagon shaped washer with the factory bolt. The instructions are here on page 5: ht tp://bds-suspension.com/instructions/014310-1.pdf
A cam bolt takes the hole in the axle lca mount and cuts a slot in it, allowing it to slide to the right adjustment. They tend to losen up and cause problems. The fix when going to adjustable lca's is to add a welded washer to reset the original mount hole.

Last edited by Robar; 10-12-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Edited clickable link
Old 10-12-2011, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's not the bolt that will need to be welded it will be the while after you decide to go to adjustable ca's because in Oder to install the cam bolts they will new to notch out the tab on the control arm axle bracket in order to make adjustments... Then when you decide to get the adjustable ca's you will have to weld a washer on the bracket in order to make the whole round again an keep the control arm from moving... I think I got it all someone else may chime in and explain it better
Old 10-12-2011, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKred

A cam bolt takes the hole in the axle lca mount and cuts a slot in it, allowing it to slide to the right adjustment. They tend to losen up and cause problems. The fix when going to adjustable lca's is to add a welded washer to reset the original mount hole.
You beat me to it
Old 10-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the Forum! Say NO to cambolts, get a set of adjustable control arms in there.

Quick Reply: New Member - '12 Rubicon