Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

NEW Homemade front bumper - comments welcome

Old 04-02-2010, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick08JKUX
This sounds like you know something I don't know or possibly you know someone that helped me with this bumper Or, were you just saying that because it looks like it would have taken a while to do this?
I am not the quoted poster. It does take a considerable amount of time to cut the steel if all you have access to is simple, and cheaper tools, such as hand grinders. All the steel on mine was cut with a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a cut-off wheel.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:40 PM
JK Freak

Looks like you may be doing the work in a body shop. Looks really nice, I'm considering doing a rear bumper. Do you think primer and some wet sanding would help clean up the welds and give it a smoother finish?

I'll paint it with some type of bed liner but I think it'd still help. Just thinking my welds wouldn't be as clean to start with.

Yours looks really nice, I think it'd look a little sharper if the top angle on the end cap was 1-2inches longer to give the end caps some beef, but thats just thinking out loud. Really good job.

Last edited by nikbass; 04-02-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nikbass
Looks like you may be doing the work in a body shop. Looks really nice, I'm considering doing a rear bumper. Do you think primer and some wet sanding would help clean up the welds and give it a smoother finish?

I'll paint it with some type of bed liner but I think it'd still help. Just thinking my welds wouldn't be as clean to start with.

Yours looks really nice, I think it'd look a little sharper if the top angle on the end cap was 1-2inches longer to give the end caps some beef, but thats just thinking out loud. Really good job.
I clean up my welds with a 80 grit flap wheel on my angle grinder. Then I smooth it even more with a 180 grit 6" stick on sanding disk on a D.A. sander. This leaves a very smooth finish. I don't see a need to wet sand. leaving a little roughness, almost microscopic per say, gives the paint more "tooth" to hold on to. Mine looks smooth to the naked eye.

Edit: Quality Flap wheels are really amazing if you have never tried them. Grinding wheels like to bounce and make large gouges in the steel that are hard to sand away later. I never use grinding wheels after I weld. Look for Zirconium grain when you shop for a flap wheel, the kind that fit a angle grinder are usually called type 27or 29. I can't find the quality ones sold at home improvement stores. Best bet is to look on the internet. A quality one will remove metal faster than a grinding wheel. 40 grit are just crazy fast at metal removal. I am lucky and get samples of all kinds of abrasives so I have used almost all kinds.
IMHO a angle grinder and a DA are must have tools for metal working. My DA is air and my angle grinder is electric.

Last edited by alancamby; 04-02-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alancamby
I am not the quoted poster. It does take a considerable amount of time to cut the steel if all you have access to is simple, and cheaper tools, such as hand grinders. All the steel on mine was cut with a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a cut-off wheel.
That's true...I didn't think of his post in that way. I'm fortunate to work for a manufacturing company so I've got plenty of tools at my disposal that make short work of cutting through just about any type and size of steel.

Originally Posted by nikbass

Well, as I said, I work for a manufacturing company. I'm really not a body shop expert, but I would suggest a good grinder to clean up your welds and then primer and paint/bed liner. I'm fortunate to work with guys that are extremely talented and certified welders.

EDIT: I would do what was suggested above in regards to sanding/grinding your welds. It was pretty amazing to watch mine as it went from raw and rough and large welds to being beautifully ground down and smooth!

I definitely considered different lines with the end caps and even taking the angle more extreme as you've mentioned. However, I wanted to stay as close to a stubby as possible so I didn't want to take the ends out too far.

Last edited by Nick08JKUX; 04-02-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for both of your responces, and again real nice job on your bumper.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

nice!good job
Old 04-02-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

I like it because it's different and not like everyone else's. Great job!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really nice job. Simple over all, but those end caps really make it look nice.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
Great Job!! You have skills..
Thank you. But, I want the record to show that I did not do the welding or most of the other labor myself. I had one of our certified welders to most of the fabrication work. I just cut the C-channel, drilled out the 8 mounting holes and designed the end caps. I just want to be sure I'm not taking credit for someone elses work. It was my vision and design so I guess that counts for something

Originally Posted by Christine
I like it because it's different and not like everyone else's. Great job!
Thanks...that is why I wanted to build it...and the fact that it's only going to cost me a bottle of Jack Daniels...probably saved me about $300-$350

Originally Posted by Stuka
Really nice job. Simple over all, but those end caps really make it look nice.
Thank you...I'm very pleased with how the end caps turned out. I considered just putting vetical plates on the ends to close it up, but then decided to design what you see on there now. I went through a few different designs and mock-ups with cardboard and this is what I liked the best...I like how they follow the lines of the fenders and will maintain those lines if/when I choose to chop my flares.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dig it! Great job!

Quick Reply: NEW Homemade front bumper - comments welcome