Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

New Hemi Exhaust

Old 03-06-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Hemi Exhaust

This is more or less a continuation of my 6.1 Hemi build thread.

I had the original Hemi exhaust completely custom built from the headers back. I had the pipes run pretty much along the stock lines to include the cross over pipe in front of the trans. It was awesome. Great sound and even better performance. Until.....I went wheeling and that damn crossover pipe was like chrome. It just attracted every rock and wasn't going to last.

As well as the crossover location I wasn't extremely thrilled with the Magnaflow muffler that was recommended to me for the hemi. It was a bit more droney than I wanted. I wasn't looking to lose any power either so I had to do some research.

So I had two goals: 1) move the crossover pipe somewhere out of harms way and 2) quiet the thing down just a bit without sacrificing power.

Done!!

Goal 1: NO MORE CROSSOVER IN FRONT!!

The passenger side pipe now leaves the header and runs down the side of the JK between the trans and the gas tank. I did trim a little of the verticle skid plate to allow some more clearance for the pipe. AFTER the transfer case it crosses over just below the drive shaft but above the factory cross member to the drivers side pipe.

From there it merges it joins to the rear via.....

Goal 2: QUIETER BUT STILL KICK ASS

A bigger, but still straight through, 2 into 1 (or 1 into 2 if you turn it around) high performance Magnaflow muffler. Much nicer but still leaves ZERO doubt this aint your stock JK.

Now, the one problem I could come up with on this setup is that the factory PLASTIC fuel lines leave the tank and cross over to the trans/engine right above the right side cat. Way too damn hot to leave as it.

What I did was buy some fuel line heat sheath (heat sheath that looks like a fireman's suit liner), then wrap them in heat shielding wrap sticky wrap, then stick heat shielding mat to them and the floor board THEN added a stock muffler shield between the cat and the floor. I think I am pretty safe now.

BTW: It took me and the shop owner together over 9 hours to do this the second time. Custom building a mandrel exhaust is extremely time consuming. He did it the first time exactly like I asked him so it's entirely my own doing. $1800 invested in the exhaust alone. Ouch!

Last edited by TheMike; 03-06-2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 03-06-2010, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

Awesome job Mike.....I will need to get with you after my install and have you show me the shop that did your exhaust install.

Any chance you can post a sound clip?
Old 03-06-2010, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

You asked so here you go. Sorry the film is was done in portrait instead of landscape.

Yes.....I almost hit a tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGv2GcuSL9g
Old 03-06-2010, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

That is sick. I wish I could afford a hemi. Congratulations.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is wow!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you show us your Chaser as well? I will definitely own one of those someday. A fantasy of mine is to drive my Jeep to Alaska, fly fishing the entire way. And back.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheMike
You asked so here you go. Sorry the film is was done in portrait instead of landscape.

Yes.....I almost hit a tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGv2GcuSL9g
Absolutely sick!!!! I need to add that audio file to my Ipod. Great Job, I will let you know when I drop mine in!! Can't Wait

Quick Reply: New Hemi Exhaust