Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

New Custom Exhaust

Old 07-03-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Custom Exhaust

So I took a little trip down to the local exhasut shop today. After beating up the stock exhaust, and several aftermarket exhaust I decided it was time to get something with a little more protection. After a long talk about what I wanted, legal issues (and the exhaust is legal), back pressure issues and a miriad of other things....this is what we came up with.

It is a 20" 2.25" glasspack. Cut the stock exhaust under the drivers door and exitied with a down turn just after the frame rise for the rear axle. Outside of the downturn the enitre muffler sits above the frame, there is still 6-8" between the muffler and the evap and the downturn clears through full flex.

The sound really isn't that bad. Not ricer at all, a little loud under hard acceleration, but about the same as the stock muffler during cruising. Overall I am really happy with it so far. and the bottom line out the door........

$159 parts/labor w/warranty!!!

From the outside....its all above the frame!

Hope you enjoy.....any questions????
Old 07-03-2009, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sound clip??? we would all like to hear it! looks great though
Old 07-03-2009, 08:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ben1284
sound clip??? we would all like to hear it! looks great though
Try to get one tomorrow. Sound really isn't to bad though. As stated it is a little loud under acceleration, but cruises nicley.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:29 AM
JK Super Freak

looks good! nice and clean install....a sound clip would be awesome though.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

There's a reason factory exhaust exits from the edge of the body and not underneath. Be really careful with this. If you start to get headaches route this out from underneath the body, Hate to see something bad happen to you. This could be especially dangerous if you get stuck in snow up in the mountains.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by woffles
There's a reason factory exhaust exits from the edge of the body and not underneath. Be really careful with this. If you start to get headaches route this out from underneath the body, Hate to see something bad happen to you. This could be especially dangerous if you get stuck in snow up in the mountains.
You have a very good point, and that was brought up during out discussion of how we wanted to tackle this. Sadley not all factory exhaust fully exit the body even now, and knowing this we feel pretty confident that for the intended purpouse (weekend fun, its not a traffic crawler or a mall crawler) it will work. Besides if my granparents and parents made it thru the 50s and 60s with exhaust like that......i think I can pull it off.

I would not suggest this mod for a vehicle that is used to regularly carry children or spends alot of time in traffic, but if yours is a weekend trail rig/occasional driver like mine then it should work perfectly.

Last edited by 09rubicon; 07-04-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

that exhaust looks like it is in the perfect position for wheeling. looks like you have an awesome set up
Old 07-04-2009, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is mine, Magnaflow 14" dumped right before the rear axle. Sounds great!! Ive never heard of anyone having issues with dumped exhust as far as getting carbon monoxide in the cab. Cars nowdays are so air tight that you would have a hard time getting any fumes in the cab!!

Old 07-04-2009, 09:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks good
Old 07-04-2009, 11:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Just becareful with having your drain plugs out... before I ran the exhaust like I have it now ( 20" glass pack ) it dumped out underneath the body, and my wife often had head aches, once we noticed that I had forgoten a couple drain plugs she stopped getting the head aches.

Quick Reply: New Custom Exhaust