Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Need some basic welding tips

Old 04-22-2009, 07:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I don't see here (and I may have missed it) is that if you're welding 1/16" to 1/8", you're going to want to focus your heat on the 1/8" plate, and just let the puddle bleed into the 1/16th... if you try and keep equal heat on the two pieces, odds are you'll end up with some nice holes in your lighter plates... But like everyone has mentioned, with practice, you'll get it!~
Old 05-03-2009, 04:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welding is an art. Ask anyone that has been doing it for years and they will tell you "I can weld anything", what they won't tell you is that they learn everyday, something new and different in welding.

Take your time, as stated several times, go slow. I think is was best said earlier, "slow is smooth and smooth is fast". May sound redundant, but it's ever so true.

One thing I haven't heard anyone speak of (or if so, I missed it), prep work is just as important as the actual welding process. If you do not take the time to prep the metals you plan to weld, you have lost half the battle. They need to be clean (a little grinding goes a long way), and depending on what and how you are planning to weld, grinding a "V" channel in the two pieces of metal will help with bonding.

Last tip, practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more!!!

Quick Reply: Need some basic welding tips