Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Need help time running out! Hemi question??

Old 10-28-2009, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help time running out! Hemi question??

I have a chance to buy a 6.1 hemi with transmission and any extras I need out of a 2009 grand cherokee SRT-8 for a really good deal, I need to make the decision before it is gone.. Will this transmission be as good as the 545rfe or even work? I'm not sure what the name of the trans is, but you would think it would work if that is what they use in the cherokee. Should I buy the AEV conversion kit, screaming lizard customs, or is one even needed? Have the problems with the 6.1 conversion been cleared up? This is a great deal, but I don't want to buy something I can not use or that is not the best as I plan on keeping this jeep forever. I want to do it 100% right the first time. Thanks so much for everyones help.
Chris

Last edited by Roadking; 10-28-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Another way to look at it is, if it is such a great deal for you and it doesn't work out for your Jeep, you'll probably find someone out there that could use it. So now there could be potential gain for you.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure what's a good deal but before I did my hemi swap, I found a 6.1 with all accessories for $4500. It was an 08 motor with 7k miles.

I would recommend that you use the factory srt8 headers or get a shop to built you some custom headers. I would not put 5.7 manifolds on the 6.1. Look into the kits and see what each allows you to do. I know some people have worked around AEV's recommendation to use 5.7 manifolds with their kit.

The transmission (a580) in the jeep srt8 is currently not supported to the best of my knowledge. Several people are in the process of trying to make it work but you'd need a 545rfe to make it work right now.

If you do use the 6.1, you'll have to do a whole custom exhaust if you do not use AEV's "do it at home kit." This isn't a big deal but just understand that you'll need to get a shop to bend something up for you and if you're going big, you'll want to get a mandrel bent exhaust. Mandrel bent exhaust shops are sometimes difficult to find depending on your area. A few vendors are working on getting a ready made exhaust for the do it yourselfer but so far no one but AEV has anything available.

If the engine is a great price and you decide that you don't want it, there are always folks looking for these engines...either for JK's, TJ's or over on the SRT8 sites. I don't think you'll get stuck with it but understand that many people are leery about buying from a private individual since you don't have any way to guarantee the engine.

I hope it works out for you and good luck. PM me if you need anything more. I can talk with you and recommend a few others that you can speak with as well.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thebigtman nailed it.

Although I do have the 5.7 manifolds on mine at the moment, and it works for me for now, I will upgrade with bolt on or modified SRT8 headers and dual exhaust eventually. The Wrangler aftermarket never ceases to amaze me.

Last edited by Yankee; 10-29-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone I spoke with SLC and AEV today and they both told me the tranny would not work. What year 545RFE is the best and out of what vehicle is the most desirable? SLC says they can do the conversion without a kit and AEV has the do it yourself kit that they have told me works perfectly with the 6.1. They told me the only reason for the 5.7 manifolds is lack of space and that if I wanted headers to have them made. Is there a less expensive way to do the Hemi conversion then to buy th AEV kit? I'm getting a great deal on the drivetrain and I'm leaning toward doing this upgrade at a friends shop to save on labor. What do you all suggest for gears running 37's with the Hemi? This is m daily driver. Thanks so much for everyones help.
Chris
Old 10-30-2009, 06:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 11-02-2009, 05:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadking
Thanks everyone I spoke with SLC and AEV today and they both told me the tranny would not work. What year 545RFE is the best and out of what vehicle is the most desirable? SLC says they can do the conversion without a kit and AEV has the do it yourself kit that they have told me works perfectly with the 6.1. They told me the only reason for the 5.7 manifolds is lack of space and that if I wanted headers to have them made. Is there a less expensive way to do the Hemi conversion then to buy th AEV kit? I'm getting a great deal on the drivetrain and I'm leaning toward doing this upgrade at a friends shop to save on labor. What do you all suggest for gears running 37's with the Hemi? This is m daily driver. Thanks so much for everyones help.
Chris
If you are not going to take it to an experienced installer (such as Burnsville or SLC) but instead do it yourself or with a friend, then the AEV kit is probably the way to go.

Go to AEV-conversion.com and look at the pictures of the parts that come with it. You could fashion or seperate purchase some of them, but you will need a computer and motor/tranny mounts, and wiring harness at minimum from somewhere.

Although I had someone else put my kit in, I have done a few franken-truck V-8 swaps myself, and the AEV kit makes converting the easiest I have seen. But easy is relative, it is still a major project and mechanical experience would be a plus!

Bottom line, the kit takes the guess work out. It includes all the non-mopar parts you need. It includes a complete parts list for the Mopar parts you do need. It includes pre-bent lines for a factory like install.

Someone chime in if there is another kit out there for a DIY beside AEV please. There probably is.

You could get the basic kit and have 6.1 headers modified to fit (the info on how is on this forum) and custom exhaust installed.

I do not know how you could to it cheaper unless you have the ability to fashion custom parts. It is an expensive toy you are building. Better have a 10k budget just for the hemi swap.

IMO I would purchase the engine if you think this is what you want to do, and then take your time studying the best way to get it in the Jeep. Buying the engine is the easy part.

If I ever go to 37" tires there will be 5:38 gears put in, and probably a 60 axle in the rear, with at least a highly beefed D44 in the front. But thats just me. There are people running 37's on D30's with 3:73's so.......

Grab a 12 pack of and read the heck out of these forums and use google. There are some very smart people out there that have done all this.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:12 AM
JK Super Freak

What do you all suggest for gears running 37's with the Hemi? This is m daily driver. Thanks so much for everyones help.
Chris
forgive me if I missed it, auto or manual tranny?

With the V8 power you can run 4.88-5.13 gears with 37's and you won't have a problem, especially with the 6.1. I only have the 5.7 L and I'm running 5.38's with 42's....when the Hemi was installed I only had 33's and stock 3.21 gears....and I didn't feel the need for gearing there either...extra power pretty much cures everything
Old 11-02-2009, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Burnsville also makes a hemi install kit. Its alot cheaper than the aev kit.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

IS burnsvilles kit as complete and good as aev's? Thanks everyone for the help.
Chris

Quick Reply: Need help time running out! Hemi question??