Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My Turn at a rear bumper, tire carrier, and jerry can holder fabrication..

Old 08-09-2010, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.. I would love to tell others that i built my mods myself. Awesome job!! looks good.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
very very nice! i'd love something like that.

it seems kind of deep, if you angled in the bottom towards the tires you'd get a better approach angle/departure angle from the rear, but for you strong that bumper is i'm sure it'll be just fine.
Nice Work
Yea, I was thinking the same thing after I got it up there, but I it's on stock suspension right now and 32" tires...when I raise it 3.25" and put the 35's on I think it will look a little bit more proportional..
Old 08-09-2010, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

That looks Great!! I am also interested in making my own rear bumper and have looked at the a to z fab spindle. I noticed you used the race bearings with it? What are they? They don't come with the a to z fab spindle, do they?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by etsam7655
want to make me one =] and i will pay you for it lol its better then most of the rear bumpers i have seen out there and the only one i really like with jerry cans is the lod bumper and thats almost 1200.00 dollars =[ let me know if you would be willing =]
lol...sure....shoot me a PM and we'll talk more..
Old 08-09-2010, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheonlyREDhead 2008 JK
I like it! The jerry cans seem a little high and I agree about the departure angle.

Red

And I second being interested in you making me one of these! Saintlouis2009@yahoo.com
Now keep in mind guys...that is a 32" tire on the back...a 35 will soon be replacing it..it will look more proprtional once I get the lift and tires on, and if it don't, I will just pull them off and cut about 2.5" out of it, weld, paint and put it back on..lol....

My next bumper I will play around more with lines and more angles. This was a prototype that taught me what I needed to do for the next one.

Last edited by rutdigger; 08-09-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by IndianaJeep
Great Job! I'm also researching making my own tire carrier....i think you might have given me some ideas to just do an entire bumper! What could happen? I'd have to put my stock one back on right?
Exactly...go for it man!
Old 08-09-2010, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bluejk09
That looks Great!! I am also interested in making my own rear bumper and have looked at the a to z fab spindle. I noticed you used the race bearings with it? What are they? They don't come with the a to z fab spindle, do they?
Yea, they come with the kit. I got the races, the bearings, bottom seal, nut, cotter pin, spindle, and outer carrier. One thing I didn't like was that mine was not milled exactly right and I had to hone the carrier out just a tad to get the races to fit in. But overall I like it and it seems to be able to hold a lot. With the 35", the carriers, and full Jerry cans I will have about 240ish lbs on the carrier.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by foxbody
Looks very good, dude.

This isn't a criticism by any means, because I think the work is excellent, but it looks like you could afford to drop the tire mount a little even when the 35" go on. That would afford you better (slightly) visibility and (again slightly) lower CoG.

That might just be me trying to rationalize how low I like my tire and can mounts, though.
Might be, I made it that high on purpose. I did not have the actual tire for mockup so I made it slightly higher than I needed to. I would much rather live with it being a little high then to have to scap the project because the tire hit the bumper... That would have been bad..., and I like the high look.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Cod
JK Newbie

Looks great!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Very nice!

this is a project i would love to take on one of these days.

Quick Reply: My Turn at a rear bumper, tire carrier, and jerry can holder fabrication..