Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My turn to build Q-forms

Old 10-21-2010, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
Can you lean the passenger seat back? it looks pretty close when the whole seat is moved back, but are they able to recline?

Great work, amazing detail, you guys need to patent those before somebody mass produces them. Huge hit for 2-door sound fanatics.
No..unfortunetly with this setup you loose the ability to recline your seat all the way back. JK Sport (his jeep) and I talked about this in great deal. He is a tall guy and needed max leg room, so his priority was to have the seat be able to go all the way to the rear and wasn't concerned much with being able to recline. The only concern was for his wife on long trips; however, the speaker could have been placed in a flat vertical position that would have allowed the seat to recline. We chose the canted look for astetic reasons. JK Sport, feel free to chime in here..
Old 10-21-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by XJK07
Looking good Rut! How many layers of chopped mat did you lay on the front where you used the t-shirt material? If it isn't thick enough you will likely have a lot of resonance from the panel. I might have missed a picture or something with that step, so disregard that question if you accounted for that already. If it turns out that you have some resonance once its done anyways, just use some Hush Mat or Dynamat(premium) on the insides of the box, and pack it with polyfill. It helps the tone of a(mostly) fiberglass enclosure a great deal. Amen on the sanding part !! Thats the worst man!! All in all; it is shaping up nicely, keep us posted on how it sounds!
Hi XJ..yes, resonance was taken into account. It's been my experience though that it increases with the size of the speaker and how much air the thing will move. With 10" you won't have the same issue that you have with 12s or 15s. However, this box has the t-shirt, then two layers of fiberglass, then it will get multiple coats of filler, then end with the fiberglass and filler mixture...it will be rock hard when it's done.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see, personally I would have added more chopped mat. However in the end you will be fine with all the filler on top. With a 10" and somewhere around 1/2" to 3/4" overall thickness you should be fine no matter what materials you used to make it that way. Its just my preference to use more mat and less filler(did I mention I hate sanding too!). Rut what amplifier are you using? Is it the Alpine 5 channel model that I see guys mounting below the steering column? I cant wait to see this finished; and I hope I don't come across as a know-it-all jack-ass that inst my intent! I just really enjoy my job, and admire those who take on projects such as this; they are fun!

Last edited by XJK07; 10-21-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

I see, personally I would have added more chopped mat. However in the end you will be fine with all the filler on top. With a 10" and somewhere around 1/2" to 3/4" overall thickness you should be fine no matter what materials you used to make it that way. Its just my preference to use more mat and less filler(did I mention I hate sanding too!). Rut what amplifier are you using? Is it the Alpine 5 channel model that I see guys mounting below the steering column? I cant wait to see this finished; and I hope I don't come across as a know-it-all jack-ass that inst my intent! I just really enjoy my job, and admire those who take on projects such as this; they are fun!
No no..don't think that at all bro. I like the input from guys. I have been doing this sort of stuff for a while and you never stop learning. The day you think you know everything is the day you show turn in your tools.. Normally I would agree with on the thickness, but disagree on the 3/4", me personally I think that is overkill and the same result can be achieved with less, but each to his own.

What you can not see in the pics are the supports on the inside of the box. These will also keep the box from flexing. When it's all said and done I think we will be close to 3/8" of an inch. That should be plenty with this setup. Actually I am not sure of the AMP jk Sport will run..I will have to ask him again, or perhaps he can answer if I don't talk with him before then.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Gotcha! I've seen those 5 channels that guys are running in the location under th steering column and I wondered how well that 5th channel is at driving a decent sub. We are not a retailer for Alpine at my shop, so I don't have one handy to test. Keep us posted on how it sounds, please.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

The amp is a MTX Jackhammer 600 Mono subwoofer amplifier. It pushes 600W at 2 ohms, which we'll achieve by running the subs in parallel. I had this setup in my Ram prior to rolling it, and it sounded outstanding. Still looking for a suitable location for amp, we have discussed mounting inside the back of passenger seat. Previoulsy had it under the passenger seat, but leaves it accessible for sticky fingers when doors are off. The dimensions of it are roughly 9.25 X 14.75 X 2.5.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

Thats a great choice, and plenty strong to run those subs. Like you mentioned it would be a little tricky to install and conceal it at the same time. As creative as you guys are you could always fabricate some sort of stealth pod on the other side of the Jeep(in the same location) to conceal the amplifier and any other electronics you may be installing. The amp would need some space to dissipate heat but that could be achieved with 2 computer fans in an enclosure. Just a thought, and cheers to your build!
Old 10-21-2010, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have you ever used fleece instead of a T-shirt? It works great and gives you a thicker base to start with.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

Thats a great choice, and plenty strong to run those subs. Like you mentioned it would be a little tricky to install and conceal it at the same time. As creative as you guys are you could always fabricate some sort of stealth pod on the other side of the Jeep(in the same location) to conceal the amplifier and any other electronics you may be installing. The amp would need some space to dissipate heat but that could be achieved with 2 computer fans in an enclosure. Just a thought, and cheers to your build!
It's funny you should mention that..we actually have talked about the heat issue inside the seat and his AMP takes air in from the top of the AMP. We talked about making something that goes on the top and then exits to allow the fresh air to be sucked in from outside the seat and expel the heat through another vent to the outside. Both would input and output from outside the seat. The other side is going to have a duplicate of the box we are working on now so we can't put anything there. He will have two in his jeep.

Last edited by rutdigger; 10-21-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by J-181
Have you ever used fleece instead of a T-shirt? It works great and gives you a thicker base to start with.
Yes, we did..as a matter of fact fleece is the preference for me; however, we are trying to save a little money and had old t-shirts laying around and t-shirts soak up the resin faster. Fleece takes a great deal of resin to be thoroughly soaked.

Quick Reply: My turn to build Q-forms