Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My turn to build Q-forms

Old 10-15-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rutdigger was actually putting another layer of fiberglass and resin on when i stopped by on my way home from work. Did a test fit with the sub, and no clearance issues at all, fits perfect. Still a lot to do to get to the point of enjoyin them.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hendu3270
Good job Rut and Sport. So no fabric? Just the resin soaked T-shirt to finish out the top surface then?
Hendu..no, what the t-shirt does is gives us the "form" of the box. The box decides where the curves lay and how it flows, if you want to change your desgin this is the stage to do it.

After we decide if we like the look or not then we glass the shirt and let it get hard. Depending on what you have planned with the filler will depend on how many layers of actual fiberglass you put on top of the shirt.

I think we will be able to get away with just one layer of fiberglass over the shirt, then filler, prime, more filler, sand till our back hurts, then paint..lol.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by XJK07
Very nice, and you are off to a good start. I do this sort of fabrication for a living and it looks like you had that all planned out. I have already done an enclosure similar to this for a friend in his 4 door. It turned out nice, and sounded great. Keep up the good work; and as someone else mentioned...you're a machine..so many projects lately!
I have a little bit of experience in this also..I have made a few over the top custom boxes for my buddies also..I enjoy doing it but the work involved..holy crap..lol. I know why sound shops charge so much to make them now..
Old 10-17-2010, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good! I used to do that kind of stuff for a living also. I usually used speaker grill cloth for my form material, It soaks in a lot of resin so gets very strong. I like the cup holder too. i would have to mold in a six pac holder for any of my friends!

Davesrb
Old 10-17-2010, 03:55 PM
JK Freak

What size speakers are you using. And how is it wired into the system. I wanted to do something like this but wasn't sure how to.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

10" Polks are goin in each side. Run in parallel from the amp. Amp to Alpine head unit. Nothing to fancy.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK_Sport
10" Polks are goin in each side. Run in parallel from the amp. Amp to Alpine head unit. Nothing to fancy.
Originally Posted by Tgoods 09 X
What size speakers are you using. And how is it wired into the system. I wanted to do something like this but wasn't sure how to.
Yep..Jk sport is right on the money..just you standard AMP and speaker system. Nothing fancy, but it will sound great and be able to keep your space.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:20 PM
JK Freak

Default A little more progress on the Q-forms today

Well, in-between drying on the snorkle and other projects I put a layer of body filler on one of the Q-forms. This is just the base layer and depending how god this filled in the divits, etc, will depend on how many other coats I need to apply. The final coat will be a mixture of filler and fiberglass to make a "milkshake" that is hard as a rock. I think we are going to paint these with a color matched bedliner type stuff, so I don't have to get it exactly perfectly smooth...THANK GOD..lol

Here is the form taking shape. Now you can see depth in the project and the shape taking place. You can get a better understanding of how this will look in the JK now..

More to follow.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you lean the passenger seat back? it looks pretty close when the whole seat is moved back, but are they able to recline?

Great work, amazing detail, you guys need to patent those before somebody mass produces them. Huge hit for 2-door sound fanatics.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

Looking good Rut! How many layers of chopped mat did you lay on the front where you used the t-shirt material? If it isn't thick enough you will likely have a lot of resonance from the panel. I might have missed a picture or something with that step, so disregard that question if you accounted for that already. If it turns out that you have some resonance once its done anyways, just use some Hush Mat or Dynamat(premium) on the insides of the box, and pack it with polyfill. It helps the tone of a(mostly) fiberglass enclosure a great deal. Amen on the sanding part !! Thats the worst man!! All in all; it is shaping up nicely, keep us posted on how it sounds!

Quick Reply: My turn to build Q-forms