Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My turn to build Q-forms

Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My turn to build Q-forms

MODS-I'm not sure if this goes in this catagory or not, but it does have significant fabrication time; anyway, here is my build.

My friend JK Sport has been wanting a pair of Q-forms for his JK to get his sound system back without taking up any space in the rear. We all know how important pace is in a JK, so we decided to make some custom Q-forms to use the dead space along the rear fender wells. I am teaching him the basics of fiberglass fabracation and he is picking it up very quickly. Before long he will be cranking out some very cool mods. Keep your eyes open for his stuff!

On the the build. This is a work in progress and is gonna be VERY time consuming, but here is were we are now.

Making the forms:

Drivers side-Jk Sport did this tape job. It turned out great, I actually like it better than mine..lol

Passenger side

Jk Sport trimming the sides of the form

Adding the rings and cup holder; gotta have a place for the beer...i mean coke..lol

The seat is as far back as it will go, so we will make a stop to prevent it from hitting the speaker

Overview-still in the VERY rough stage, just wait till you see how it's gonna come out!

Ok, back to work...got more projects to do and finsh. Later guys!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are a machine! Love it all! I got a 2009 2 Door in Illinois that would love your attention! You ever been to Chicago?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tgoods 09 X
You are a machine! Love it all! I got a 2009 2 Door in Illinois that would love your attention! You ever been to Chicago?
Not yet..lol
Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think we need to open up shop, between your fabrication, and my laboring abilities, we could churn out some real product to the SE Arizona scene.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK_Sport
I think we need to open up shop, between your fabrication, and my laboring abilities, we could churn out some real product to the SE Arizona scene.
Laboring hell...your a machine when it comes to knowing JK parts and accessories and you pick on fabrication fast...its funny you said that..lol...I was thinking something like that the other day; yes, yes we could.

Last edited by rutdigger; 10-12-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:15 PM
JK Freak

More progress on Jk Sports Q-forms (custom speaker boxes)

T-shirt stretched over the form:

Wet with resin, and beginning to take shape:

We pulled the other side off out tonight. I will try and get another layer of fiberglass on it tomorrow morning after I go kill a few coyotes...
Old 10-15-2010, 12:57 AM
JK Freak

awesome work!! wish I could do something like this, I bearly started messing with fiberglass, but not ready for something this big. I need to nail down the right mix ratio, first time it hardened to fast, second time wasn't hardening.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fastrat350
not ready for something this big.
I had never touched the stuff. Rutdigger and I were just toolin around one day and I said i thought it would be cool, and his response was lets do it. Just go for it, and have fun and learn from it.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fastrat350
....I need to nail down the right mix ratio, first time it hardened to fast, second time wasn't hardening.
Originally Posted by JK_Sport
....Just go for it, and have fun and learn from it.
I couldn't agree more with Jk-Sport, just go for it. Have fun, and make something cool. Now, a tip for your mixture; i have found that if you go to wally world and buy one of this 20 drop syringes you can stick that right into the neck of the hardner and have VERY precise drop measurements...follow the drop measurements (12 drops per ounce) and you won't have any problems at all. Oh, and only use about 4-6 ounces at a time..anymore and you will probably end up wasteing it.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Very nice, and you are off to a good start. I do this sort of fabrication for a living and it looks like you had that all planned out. I have already done an enclosure similar to this for a friend in his 4 door. It turned out nice, and sounded great. Keep up the good work; and as someone else mentioned...you're a machine..so many projects lately!

Quick Reply: My turn to build Q-forms