Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My Tuffy Overhead Console with JVC KD-AHD79 Head unit Install

Old 07-14-2011, 09:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Tuffy Overhead Console with JVC KD-AHD79 Head unit Install

So I decided to ditch my equalizer that controlled my Ipad and got myself this tuffy overhead console in order to mount it in a safe convenient location. I know almost everyone uses the tuffy console for their CB radio, but I plan to get a CB radio later and have other locations to mount it later, or I get the cobra 75 and conceal it. Sorry for the lack of pics during the install, it was going to be a write up but I accidentally unplugged my rear aux cable trying to route my wires, so since it was locked in I had to unbolt it from the CB radio brackets I used..............NOT EASY AT ALL, I could have unbolted it all and taken it apart but anyone that has installed this knows the amount work to unbolt it all. Anyways, I made an extended harness, and ran along the drivers side, and the FM antenna, Pre-amps, and amp remote ran down the passengers side. FYI the OEM antenna reaches almost all the way and only need an small extension, Crutchfield gave me an adapter and 18" extension. Tuffy recommends to run your wires thru the side and towards the sound bar, I didn't want that look and plus it would make for an even LONGER harness and a bunch of extensions. SO I drilled a hole in the back of the compartment with a step drill bit and ran my wires through there and into the slot near the footman loop.

The head unit is exclusive to crutchfield and comes with a bunch of install freebies, like antenna adapter, extension, and dash kit, the unit is JVC KD-AHD79. The radio has front and rear aux inputs, front usb for ipod or usb thumb drive, built-in HD radio, adjustable color controls, CD/MP3 playback, and best part is has 5 volt outputs and 2 year warranty.

Anyways check it out, I plan to later use the side of the console to mount gauges hehe

Wiring inside before I lock sealed it up and then fudged it lol

And all mounted up:
View from cargo area

Locked up:

Some side pics.

After remounting it, I mounted it alil more forward than before but since I wanted to finish I left it alone, the radio face is detachable so I can remove it also. This is one stout box, needs alil more support up front because it does jounce just a tad on hard bumps, and my sound system does make it rattle because of the slide feature, So ill just stuff some foam in between the slide to keep it from rattling, same foam layer I used together with my sound deadener. Overall its awesome, and looks great, I wish they made a two compartment version like the TJ ones, buts just me because mines 08 and doesn't have that center latch at the header panel for the freedom tops. Anyways I want to mount some gauges on the side of the console, like aeroforce interceptor. Im done, now next week I start putting together my new ipad mount.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does it look like with the top off? does it get in the way of removing the top?

Quick Reply: My Tuffy Overhead Console with JVC KD-AHD79 Head unit Install