Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

MY transfer case blow up at 70mph

Old 05-28-2012, 04:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this happen to me as well. My Jeep was being flat-towed at about 60 mph when it exploded. The drivshaft was damaged from a rock which cased the vibration.

I would reco that you have both drive shafts inspected prior to installing a new tcase to ensure it does not happen again. I went with an Atlas 2.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Damn! Don't want this happen to me any warning sighs before this happens to anyone.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Really sorry to see this. Just another reason that I want to leave mine at stock height.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Here is the recipe for disaster:

lifted
regeared
aftermarket front drive shaft with double cardan at the t-case, accompanied by...
front pinion-to-drive shaft angle more than a few degrees
highway speed

Sometimes the recipe will also include:
lack of lube in the double cardan
a longer front flange adapter on the t-case (it increases the distance from the double cardan to the t-case)
Old 05-28-2012, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Angst
Really sorry to see this. Just another reason that I want to leave mine at stock height.
In my case a stock height would nove prevented the explosion as it was the result of trail damage to the drive shaft.

Lets remember that many things can lead to vibration and the Op will need to find his in order to prevent a similar failure with the new tcase.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KenB1010
yup, many people have had this happen. I chose a go with the 4sp atlas, there are other options as well. How do you use yor jeep? The atlas's are very strong, but also tend to be loud. Especially at high speed.
My atlas is nice and quiet
Old 05-29-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tattedfire

My atlas is nice and quiet
Agree, but how could we hear it anyways with the top down, MT's thumping, and radio blasting!!!

Quick Reply: MY transfer case blow up at 70mph