Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

MY transfer case blow up at 70mph

Old 05-28-2012, 06:27 AM
HV
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY transfer case blow up at 70mph

Hi boys and girls I was wondering if any one else has exprienced there transfer case shattering into peaces . I was driving around 70mph when it happened . The JK has 88k miles on it and if any one has any upgrdes ideas Its a rubicon so I had the 4:1 ratio TC on it . Tkssssss Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	322605Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	322605
Old 05-28-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Wow sorry to hear this man, did u have any mods, auto or manual??? More info please
Old 05-28-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about this man. I've read a few stories about this happening. If I'm not mistaken, I think it has to do with the pinion angle on lifted vehicles. It typically happens in 2WD and at high speeds. My assumption is that the stock driveshaft is at the wrong angle, and just can't take it. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info. It's a good reason to upgrade though!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch! Talk about a catastrophic failure!!

Upgrade time....check out Atlas transfer cases
Old 05-28-2012, 06:43 AM
HV
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the input . Its has servile mods on it . I upgraded to the tereaflex drive shafts so we can rule that the DS were the cause
Old 05-28-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HV
thanks for the input . Its has servile mods on it . I upgraded to the tereaflex drive shafts so we can rule that the DS were the cause
Are you sure? Don't they have u-joints too?
What was your caster set to?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

Cool

Originally Posted by HV
If the C's have not been cut & twisted there can be a problem The pinion angle with a double cardan ujoint should be zero at the front ujoint which would put your caster at~1° so if you adjusted your caster to 4° to 6° your pinion angle was way off 0° That will case vibrations up at the double cardan ujoint which just happens to be at the transfer case
If you have a 3 or 4" lift it would not be a surprise
Old 05-28-2012, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

I think it also has something to do with the higher gear Rubicon trans case?

Originally Posted by AirForceMike
Sorry to hear about this man. I've read a few stories about this happening. If I'm not mistaken, I think it has to do with the pinion angle on lifted vehicles. It typically happens in 2WD and at high speeds. My assumption is that the stock driveshaft is at the wrong angle, and just can't take it. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info. It's a good reason to upgrade though!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Junkie

Here's a link to a similiar thread.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...n-fire-171530/

Originally Posted by ronjenx
This is the recipe for disaster:
Lifted
Regeared
After market front drive shaft with single joint at the pinion, double cardan at the t-case
An adapter at the t-case that increases the distance of the double cardan from the t-case.
Front pinion more than a few degrees out of alignment with the drive shaft
Highway speed

That's when you are tooling along, fat, dumb, and happy, (no offense, it's just an expression), then you suddenly hear the onset of vibration. Then, all of a sudden, KABOOM!
It's happened to quite a few JKers.

The thing that would prevent this is getting the front pinion and drive shaft into alignment. The double cardan at the t-case requires the front joint to be in alignment with the drive shaft.
But then, that can't be done on a lifted JK because you would have too little caster.

It's not a t-case design flaw.

The common denominator in the t-case explosions is lifted, bad pinion angle, aftermarket drive shafts, re-geared, highway speeds. I'll even bet the OP's front drive shaft had a single, regular u-joint at the pinion, and a double cardan at the t-case.

This all adds up to hitting a critical front drive shaft vibration frequency, then KA-BOOM.
And the farther the t-case yoke puts the double cardan from the t-case, the easier it will be to hit that frequency.

This is assuming the t-case hasn't seen a trail impact or bent drive shaft.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...ploded-138605/

Another thing to consider:

When one replaces the front drive shaft with a shaft that has a double cardan joint at the t-case, the front axle must be rotated to get the front single joint as straight as possible. Trying to maintain caster may prevent that.
Having an angle on the front joint pretty much negates the benefit of the double cardan at the t-case. They are not perfect constant velocity joints. They have their own dynamic issues, and are a source of vibration, too.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup, many people have had this happen. I chose a go with the 4sp atlas, there are other options as well. How do you use yor jeep? The atlas's are very strong, but also tend to be loud. Especially at high speed.

Quick Reply: MY transfer case blow up at 70mph