Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

MY OBX adventure

Old 08-25-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY OBX adventure

My wife and I rented a house in Duck down on the Outer Banks. This is the third time we have come down here but the first with a Wrangler. Very first day I headed up to Corolla to hit the 4WD beach. I had an absolute blast drove all the way up to the boarder. Even got to pull a Suburban out of the sand with the winch. The guy barely gave me a thank you. It's not like I was expecting anything but a hand shake would have nice, instead I got a "thanks" out the window as he drove off. It appeared he had been stuck for awhile and had been digging for quite some time. I got him out in 5 mins. Oh well still made me feel good to help somebody.

Got to see some of the wild horses, which was pretty neat. I was also surprised to see so many Wrangler rental places or Wrangler tour companies. Have yet to see a an Hummer or FJ cruises experience tours. LOL

The number of Wranglers down here is also amazing. Back in Buffalo you can go for awhile without seeing another Wrangler. Down here my hand has gotten sore from waving so much.

Still have a few days left down here so I need to find some more fun stuff to do.

Some pics

Wrangler Experience Tour

Pulling out the Suburban

At the border

Old 08-25-2010, 09:40 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u want something to do drive south through nags head and take some of the bridges down there!! there is one that goes tward hatteras, and another that splits off before oregon inlet. just take 12 south and u cant go wrong!beautyful views, and i think there is some spot twards hatteras u can drive on the beach. i miss OBX. i didnt make it there this year..
Old 08-25-2010, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Great Pics! I haven't been down in a few years but can't wait to get back, only issue is that it is a 15hr hike for me

Bohdie.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

Default OBX rocks

Carova Beach is awesome - and they rent nice 4x4 only houses up there if you really want to get away.

Make sure to check out Roadside Grill in Duck for lunch - awesome food and great adult beverages.

there are lots of "roads" in Carova Beach that are fun to cruise around on. Just be careful, there's some waterholes too! last year, when i had my mopar cold water intake (aka CAI) i hit one 'puddle' around 20 mph with the top down, had a great time until i hydrolocked the motor midway through! dooh

BTW - If you ever get stuck down there never, ever, call A-1 towing . They charged me $500 to get me off the beach. Everyone else was going to charge $250 or less. The owner said he was going charge me less too, then "went out of town" and impounded my car with the $500 invoice.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 69thunderbird
Carova Beach is awesome

there are lots of "roads" in Carova Beach that are fun to cruise around on. Just be careful, there's some waterholes too! last year, when i had my mopar cold water intake (aka CAI) i hit one 'puddle' around 20 mph with the top down, had a great time until i hydrolocked the motor midway through! dooh
big X2 on the waterholes!! sunk my jk in one with 5000 miles on it. now i stay away from said "puddles".
Old 08-25-2010, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ooph! Water + sand = rust in places you wouldn't even begin to imagine! Lol.

I'm in the banx about 10 Xs a year... heading tomorrow night for an extended weekend!!

Another great place to eat down there (although it's gettin kinda 'touristy') is Mama Kwan's at MP 9.5 (and skip the Rundown Cafe... it really sucks even though it looks cool)
Old 08-25-2010, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeezUU
Ooph! Water + sand = rust in places you wouldn't even begin to imagine! Lol.

I'm in the banx about 10 Xs a year... heading tomorrow night for an extended weekend!!

Another great place to eat down there (although it's gettin kinda 'touristy') is Mama Kwan's at MP 9.5 (and skip the Rundown Cafe... it really sucks even though it looks cool)
Been staying away from water.

We saw Mama Kwan's yesterday. Ended up at Dirty Dick's. I know this sounds stupid but they had one of the best house salads I have ever had.

Anybody been to the Jeep Clothing Company in Corolla? The wife and I are going to check it out on Friday.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:00 PM
JK Jedi

dirty dick's is a chain like red lobster. IMO u can get alot better seafood at a local place there. ask around. i do love my i "got my crabs at dirty dick's" tee shirt though!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
dirty dick's is a chain like red lobster. IMO u can get alot better seafood at a local place there. ask around. i do love my i "got my crabs at dirty dick's" tee shirt though!!!!

I was wondering if it was chain. Guess that answers that question. LOL
Old 08-25-2010, 02:03 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by nachostheclown
I was wondering if it was chain. Guess that answers that question. LOL
i only went there for a tee shirt! and when i bought it, it smelled like a deep fryer!
ask around and try a local place i bet u will be happy. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: MY OBX adventure