Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My mall crawler- recommendations welcome

Old 05-22-2014, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My mall crawler- recommendations welcome

Hello fellow Jeep enthusiasts!

I bought a JK Jeep Wrangler 2dr in Anvil color - in December. It has just Sport- so it came with no options

My favorite thing is the manual tranny

Let us for now ignore the fact that when I was a youngster, the Sport was the faster model with the 4.0 liter upgraded engine..

I want a beautiful "mall crawler" that will offroad twice a year.

I have so far added the following-

Side steps

Tinted Windows

Side entry paint protector

Tail light cages

Rubicon wheels and tires

Stubby antenna

Oh $h!t handles

Weathertech floor mats (the back do not fit properly).

What I am adding as soon as I can-

AFE exhaust - already bought waiting to be delivered

Leather seat cover replacements (from Star fabricating)- already bought waiting to be delivered

When more cash is available-

Power windows

Power door locks

Sound system

Here is a photo of before and now

BEFORE-

NOW

What other creature comforts can be added?

What other aesthetic things will not affect my ride, but make it look nice?

My brother has made fun of me saying why didn't you spend a bit more on a Rubicon or Sahara- but I enjoy putting in my own customization, and I am still way under price of leather equipped Rubi or Sahara...

Let's hear your thoughts friends!
Old 05-22-2014, 08:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Red accents look nice with the anvil, maybe just your front hooks and throw on a d-ring holder if you have a hitch receiver and throw on a red d-ring. Don't go nuts with the red just enough to make it look different than the other anvil sports you will run in to. Now if you want to go a little farther, cut your stock fenders and throw some spacers on your wheels to give it a wider stance and you can keep it relatively stock but it will give you some more clearance off road.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For creature comforts, I'd look at adding heated seats and grabars. Love both mods.

The heated seats were SUPER easy on the JK. I went with Iggee seat covers so all I did was put the heated seat pads ontop of the oem seats, then put the iggee covers on top. This is miles ahead ease/time wise then other vehicles I've had to do. Generally involves taking the OEM seats apart to put the pads underneath which can be a pain in the ass depending on the manufacture.

Edit, the other thing you could do is add some rubi take off rails and put them in between your side steps and body. I would think with stepping and accidentally kicking the painted body would eventually end up in unwanted scratching of that area.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wittys-jk
Red accents look nice with the anvil, maybe just your front hooks and throw on a d-ring holder if you have a hitch receiver and throw on a red d-ring. Don't go nuts with the red just enough to make it look different than the other anvil sports you will run in to. Now if you want to go a little farther, cut your stock fenders and throw some spacers on your wheels to give it a wider stance and you can keep it relatively stock but it will give you some more clearance off road.
Great tips, I was going to do some red- but a guy who lives down the block has an Anvil X so it is too common to me believe it or not!

Love the fender and spacer idea- about to do some googling.

Originally Posted by Vladimer
For creature comforts, I'd look at adding heated seats and grabars. Love both mods.

The heated seats were SUPER easy on the JK. I went with Iggee seat covers so all I did was put the heated seat pads ontop of the oem seats, then put the iggee covers on top. This is miles ahead ease/time wise then other vehicles I've had to do. Generally involves taking the OEM seats apart to put the pads underneath which can be a pain in the ass depending on the manufacture.

Edit, the other thing you could do is add some rubi take off rails and put them in between your side steps and body. I would think with stepping and accidentally kicking the painted body would eventually end up in unwanted scratching of that area.
Thanks!

I actually ordered the heated seats for under the leather covers. And I have the handles- the Rubi rails is a fantastic idea. Going to loo into it.

Keep the tips coming folks!
Old 05-22-2014, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe choose a color other than red to use as your accent color - set it off a little.

I also like the easy front bumper stubby conversion - you can use the VDP endcaps (Vertically Driven Products 31550 - VDP Stubby End Cap Kit for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with Factory Plastic Front Bumper - Quadratec) and show a little more tire tread and a little less plastic!
Old 05-22-2014, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

If you get some Rubicon takeoffs like shocks and coils, especially from a 4dr Rubicon, you will improve your ride and lift the Jeep a little. I would also add 1.5" wheel spacers, (Make sure they are hub-centric like Spidertrax) they will push out the wheels and tires a bit giving you a wider stance and better looks. Jeep looks good BTW
Old 05-22-2014, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Davep22
I also like the easy front bumper stubby conversion - you can use the VDP endcaps (Vertically Driven Products 31550 - VDP Stubby End Cap Kit for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with Factory Plastic Front Bumper - Quadratec) and show a little more tire tread and a little less plastic!
Wow that's a nice mod at a nice price!

Originally Posted by holy_crap
If you get some Rubicon takeoffs like shocks and coils, especially from a 4dr Rubicon, you will improve your ride and lift the Jeep a little. I would also add 1.5" wheel spacers, (Make sure they are hub-centric like Spidertrax) they will push out the wheels and tires a bit giving you a wider stance and better looks. Jeep looks good BTW
I was doing this but somebody told me it is a crapshoot with the shocks and may make my ride rougher. What do you think?
Old 05-22-2014, 03:50 PM
JK Junkie

Rubi shocks are a nice upgrade over sports. Check out Rancho 9000's. I think the rebate ends soon ($100)
Old 05-23-2014, 04:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Wheel
I was doing this but somebody told me it is a crapshoot with the shocks and may make my ride rougher. What do you think?
Newish Rubicon takeoffs come and go both on Craigslist as well as on this and other forums. I would wait for some newer ones, less than 3000 miles or so, but like someone mentioned before the Rubicon shocks do offer a better ride. Hell, just go test drive a Rubicon at a dealer and you will see for yourself. Also, believe it or not, the Wheel spacers make a difference on corners. That was the first thing I did on my old Jeep because I knew I was going with bigger tires later on. I was surprised when I took my first sharp turn at how much better it felt, 3" wider makes a difference. You can find Spidertrax on CL as well, I paid $100 for the set of 4 on CL.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by holy_crap
Newish Rubicon takeoffs come and go both on Craigslist as well as on this and other forums. I would wait for some newer ones, less than 3000 miles or so, but like someone mentioned before the Rubicon shocks do offer a better ride. Hell, just go test drive a Rubicon at a dealer and you will see for yourself. Also, believe it or not, the Wheel spacers make a difference on corners. That was the first thing I did on my old Jeep because I knew I was going with bigger tires later on. I was surprised when I took my first sharp turn at how much better it felt, 3" wider makes a difference. You can find Spidertrax on CL as well, I paid $100 for the set of 4 on CL.
Thanks, definitely doing the shocks and spacers. really really excited about the spacers. I know from my '11 Subaru that was an inch wider at each corner than the previous year, what a difference it can make!

What is the consensus on Trucklite LED lights I've read good and bad and can't decide...

Quick Reply: My mall crawler- recommendations welcome