Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My JK Build

Old 12-08-2008, 11:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting

why paint the axles???

is this going to be a show truck???
Old 12-08-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

The axles and frame are getting painted because it looks good and it makes cleaning alot easier, This will definately not be a show truck and I plan to take it to Grey Rock and Morris Mountain a couple of times a year and have fun with it but I also want it to look good when I am taking it out for a cruise on the Beach..
Old 12-08-2008, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice work, what are you using to do the undercoat, POR 15?
Old 12-08-2008, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

I am actualy spraying everything with PPG Shopline single stage. I have always painted my frame and axles with PPG single stage and it seems to hold up very well but then again I dont have snow or salt on the roads to deal with.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GIZMO
The axles and frame are getting painted because it looks good and it makes cleaning alot easier, This will definately not be a show truck and I plan to take it to Grey Rock and Morris Mountain a couple of times a year and have fun with it but I also want it to look good when I am taking it out for a cruise on the Beach..

until you scrape the paint off, then when power washing all the paint from the axle will come off..been there done that

why not spend the money else where, rather then painting a frame thats already black and galvanized, and axles which will never look good anyhow???
Old 12-08-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

This is what I mean about flak about my project, I can tell you that this is definately not my first time painting suspension and I have had good luck painting my past vehicles suspension, when it comes to spending my money elsewhere I think spending $ 100.00 on paint is not a waste plus I realy enjoy the time it takes to do it because it is a way for me to relax and the outcome always looks better than the rattle can aproach.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepginn
Great build... To hell with the nay-sayers, go with what you know. Keep us posted. Nothing wrong with a sand rig.

X2 - Lookin' forward to seein' the finished product
Great start so far and continue to post pictures as you go
Old 12-08-2008, 02:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scottg07
Its gonna be sweet bro... Make sure you trim the fender wells if you gonna be rockin 39s otherwise its difficult to get a good rear flex without rubbing...
X2 and the pinch seem
Old 12-08-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GIZMO
This is what I mean about flak about my project, I can tell you that this is definately not my first time painting suspension and I have had good luck painting my past vehicles suspension, when it comes to spending my money elsewhere I think spending $ 100.00 on paint is not a waste plus I realy enjoy the time it takes to do it because it is a way for me to relax and the outcome always looks better than the rattle can aproach.
fair enough..its your jeep and you seem like you know what you are doing

so no flak from me

keep the pics coming
Old 12-10-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

I have got a few things done to the Jeep this week so far and I thought I would show you some additional pictures, I got the xenon flares installed and was able to get my lift painted so If everything goes as planned I will get the frontend back under the Jeep tonight and see what kind of clearance I have. I just rolled the tires under the jeep for pictures to see what it might look like.

Painting at 1:00 AM this morning..

Quick Reply: My JK Build