Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My homemade bumper

Old 12-14-2007, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My homemade bumper

Nothing really special about it. 3/16 steel, welded inside and out. Still have to cut out the area for my fairlead and drill out the rest of the spots for my bolts and decide how I'm going to attach my tow points. After I'm through I'm going to have it coated with Line-X. Right now I just have some spray on bedliner in a can because it will probably be a couple weeks until I get to work on it again. Have to go back to work Monday. I couldn't wait, had to see how it would look. I'm also going to add a bar on top, have to get it bent. So here are a few pics of my work in progress.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

that's actually bad ass if you ask me
Old 12-14-2007, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Karth.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good great alternative to spending ~700 on aftermarket
Old 01-01-2008, 09:58 PM
JK Super Freak

How about a list of materials, etc. Pics if you have them.

For tow points get some 3/8 or 1/2" steel, burn or cut a slot in the fender, one on each side. make the back side longer than the slot. Be sure you have your tow hole in the steel, slip it in the fender and weld it on both sides of the fender. If you place it right you might be able to drill through the steel and make matching holes in the chassis so that you will have it both welded to the bumper and bolted to the chassis.

For your angles on the bumper did you bend them or weld pieces?

Please keep us posted.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

very nice, definatly rivals aftermarket
Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys.

Well the list of materials was short: one sheet of 3/16 steel plate, of course it didn't take much of it, but they'd only sell one sheet 4x8'. I still have at least a 4x6' piece left. $92 for the steel. Then about $10 worth of 8 grade 8 bolts/nuts/washers, then I had some 3/4" plate that is mounted as a spacer/anchor for my tow points that the bolts are running through.

If you look at the mounting points, they're prob about 4"x6" rectangle plates welded to the end of the frame, I haven't drilled the other holes yet but I'm going to have a friend weld the tabs for the tow points onto the 3/4" plate. I only have a mig welder and I want someone else to build the tow points since I can't get enough penetration with my machine for something that needs to be that strong. Then that spacer plate with the tabs going through the bumper will be welded from the back and the tabs welded on the front as well where they poke through. If that makes sense.

I'm about to build another one for a friend and I might have all the corners bent, all my angles are cut and welded. This is just my rough prototype.

Also I'm going to add a skid-plate that goes down to the cross member and a bar that goes over the winch and possibly some tabs for mounting lights. With a little bit of thin-walled tubing it would be easy to add stock fog lights I think.

As far as more pics, sorry that's all I have right now. When I build the next one I can take some more detailed pics. There is one on my project jk page of it with the roller mounted.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Looks a lot like the one i built. I also used 3/16 and bed liner paint. For the shackle mounts i just orderd some from FWD. What you think..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2078.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	5146  
Old 01-03-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

That looks good, I like it. What kind of bedliner did you use? I like the heavy texture.

When I get mine finished I may line-x it. Haven't made up my mind yet.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

I used duraback it works real good. I made a back bumber and painted the inside of the jeep with it. All together with the paint and the steel I belive i was 500 bucks in. I like your angles you have on the sides. How long did it take for you to weld it and what welder did you use

Dave

Here is more pics of the back and the inside

Quick Reply: My homemade bumper