Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My HEMI swap into my '07 Sahara...

Old 01-30-2009, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grnmonsta
Ben,

I am seriously considering going with 6.1L and just order the engine/tranny. How much would a new tranny cost for that? I would be doing it on my own for the most part. I have had a few e-mail conversations with Gerry, he seems very knowledgable and responds quickly so maybe I'll do it that way instead of sending the whole Jeep out. How hard has it been so far?
I look forward to seeing more pics and any tips along the way you can give me the better. Keep in touch and talk soon.
Adam
Adam,
I have heard that a new 545RFE Tranmission is about $3500 but I know Gerry can get you one much cheaper. As far as the swap goes, it really has not been anything very difficult. I did not remove the body on this swap but next time I think that I will. dsy did remove his body and he recommended that I do the same but I decided to just remove the front. It hasn't been bad, I just think that you have much more room to work with with the body off. But really overall, if you have decent tools, engine lift, jacks, etc. it really is not that bad. If I had more time to work on it fulltime, it would have been done by now. I hope to have it all done by next weekend. Then the real fun begins.

Take care, Ben
Old 01-30-2009, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

Ben,

Thanks for the advice and I look forward to seeing your finished product. Maybe just before spring or at the end of summer I'll take a week off and get it done. Take care and I'll e-mail Gerry about it and get his thoughts.

Thanks again,

Adam
Old 02-01-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very cool. My buddy (ex-buddy) just bought the Dodge Challenger with the 6.1 Hemi. I plan to steal the car later tonight and swap the engine with mine without him knowing.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gregkuiper
Very cool. My buddy (ex-buddy) just bought the Dodge Challenger with the 6.1 Hemi. I plan to steal the car later tonight and swap the engine with mine without him knowing.
Good call. You can get more friends once you have his 6.1 in your Jeep!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by gregkuiper
lol thats awesome
Old 02-04-2009, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

All,
Sorry for the lack of update photos and progress information on the project. My real “work” (my company) has kept me super busy lately so my Hemi project has been slow. We have welded in the driver’s side motor mount and that has gone smoothly. We expect to have the other one welded in tonight and by this weekend we hopefully will be inserting in the Hem into the JK!!!! Yahooo…. I will try and update the thread with some more pics soon. Overall the project is still going well. Stay tuned…

Ben
Old 02-07-2009, 07:06 AM
JK Junkie

Awesome, can't wait for more pictures, I'm trying to decide between this and the SC route
Old 02-07-2009, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Work does seem to get in the way of fun projects. This is a great project for those with some skills. Can't wait to see the pics of the big motor going in.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:37 PM
JK Junkie

Yeah, work is overrated
Old 02-09-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK! Both motor mounts are welded in and the wiring harness is in place! Hotwire Auto REALLY does a GREAT job with their harneses! I can't say enough about the quality of their product. Stay tuned, as I see the Hemi reaching its desitination!

Oh, but this weekend, I've got a SCCA drviers school to go to in Savannah so no work this weekend... Sorry.

Ben

Quick Reply: My HEMI swap into my '07 Sahara...