Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My GPS intall location

Old 08-16-2009, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does the Pioneer GPS compare to say all the very reasonably priced, extra programs and user friendly Garmins?

Thanks,
Mikey
Old 08-17-2009, 02:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by meljr
Pardon me for the quasi hijack

How do you like that particular GPS? I need something for the JK that will do all (or most) of the on road stuff, but has a lot of trail flexibility -- especially like loading trail maps from other sources and lots of bread crumbs. I get lost without even trying.

Also -- I think RHD is very cool. Back in the day, I had a real Lotus Super 7 with no doors, cup holders or roll up windows. Heck, I never bothered with the useless top either. But it came with RHD and went like stink. People would freak out when they noticed my dog sitting in the "drivers" seat.

-meljr
The GPS is great, had no problems at all. Quite easy to install, came with all cables and works well on Bluetooth to my iPhone. You have to earth out a cable (handbrake cable) so some features work all the time, otherwise they only work when handbrake is on.

Have never used the breadcrumb feature (I think it has one). Should look it up in the manual. I don't know about downloading maps, should be able to do it though (as long as you can get the maps).

RHD vs LHD - I have both types (I have a WW2 Jeep) and after a while you get used to both, I actually prefer driving on the left side of the road in a RHD, as you can see the side of the road better and easier to see in the blind spot.

Originally Posted by SgtMikey
How does the Pioneer GPS compare to say all the very reasonably priced, extra programs and user friendly Garmins?

Thanks, Mikey
The best thing I think about this one is the large screen, simple navigation. It cost me $450 AUD (say $200 US) and includes a map upgrade in Sept 2009.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

I like the big screen also, thanks for the info!

Mikey

Quick Reply: My GPS intall location