Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

my first dent... aka, don;t let gravity help you drop your soft top. (pics inside)

Old 10-04-2010, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fathom
This spring right after I first put the softtop back on I got in a hurry and slammed the tailgate with the rear window retention bar not seated. Result was a severly bent corner of the tailgate, much worse than yours. I took it to the body shop and my friend there said he would have to bondo it to make it smooth I couldn't live with that and as I had several other chips on it from Heidi hanging out the back I suggested he put about an inch of Line-X across the gate. The Line-X acts to fill in the little ripples etc. so no bondo. It looks great,cost me $63, and makes for a much more durable tailgate edge. I do feel your pain at the first damage on your baby!
i was thinking about other options to cover up the lip. doesn;t the line-x stuff have a rough texture? does it affect the seal on the soft top/hard top, or worse, rip it up? if this is that common of a problem, does anyone know if any manufacturers make soem sort of a steel ridge to cover the lip of the top of the tailgate? (if not, it was my idea)
Old 10-04-2010, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy crap! thanks for posting this!! i noticed this dent like a week after i purchased mine. there was ONE TIME that it dropped hard on the back. looks exactly this lol. ive been tryin to figure it out for about 3 months now!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Joisey
I have that same dent and don't know for the life of me where I got it.hahahaha
Same here!! I kept wondering how the hell I dented that...

When I ordered the bushwacker hood protector it came with the tailgate protector...It covers it up and its about $100 for the two pieces...

Old 10-05-2010, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmat1980
Same here!! I kept wondering how the hell I dented that...

When I ordered the bushwacker hood protector it came with the tailgate protector...It covers it up and its about $100 for the two pieces...

sweet, that is way cheaper than having the body shop fix it, and in theory, it will offer some protection in the future. thanks for posting this.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:44 PM
JK Junkie

I really wish they'd sell those two pieces separate from one another. I only want the back and have no need for the front.

Quick Reply: my first dent... aka, don;t let gravity help you drop your soft top. (pics inside)