Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My fender chop

Old 06-24-2010, 11:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My fender chop

Well I finally got tired of just about ripping my fender flares off when getting big flex, so I trimmed my flares. Ever since I got the Spyderlock wheels with 3.5" BS my tires have rubbed the stock flares enough to pop the clips off. I used Eddie's write-up on project-jk. Took my time and I'm pretty happy how it turned out. I measured everything twice and cut once, so it took me about 4 hours, since I'm pretty meticulous and wanted it to come out right the first time.

Just to add to Eddie's write-up. I did not use a dremel. I started with a dremel on the first front one, and it was melting the plastic to much for my comfort. Not that that's bad, just takes more time to clean up the cuts from the melted plastic. I used a pair of tin snips. VERY easy to follow along the edge of the tape I used to mark with, and it made nice, clean cuts that did not require any cleanup before applying the door edge trim. And mine are new and sharp so it took maybe 5 min for each flare. Also it is much easier to cut the flares if you remove them, which is very easy. Just tape out the shape you want before removing the flares. When you get the flares off, you must remove the clips from the fender that hold the flares on. Getting them off with a pair of pliers or needle nose can be a PITA. If you have an 8mm deepwell socket, slide it on the back side of the clips and they come right off instantly. For the clips on the rear flares, a set of needle nose with a 45 deg, or preferably a 90 bend,is the only way I can see getting the clips off once the flare is removed.

On to the pics.

I might pull the bumpstops and see if I can get some more uptravel with my 35s without over compressing the springs or rubbing. It's def time for some 37s.

Last edited by highoctane; 06-24-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good looking cut! I like that and wish I'd seen this idea before buying the Xenon.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude looks great! Welcome to the club!!
Old 06-24-2010, 11:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that my friend gets
your jeep looks like mine will some day! sweet job.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKCliff
Very good looking cut! I like that and wish I'd seen this idea before buying the Xenon.
I'm glad I went this route. I saved the hundreds of $s I'd have spent on a set of aftermarket flares, that will now go towards a regear of my axles to 4.88s. Plus if I hit these on the trails, they just bend up and pop right back into place. Plus it cost me all of $18.

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
Dude looks great! Welcome to the club!!
Originally Posted by rinkishJK
that my friend gets
your jeep looks like mine will some day! sweet job.

Thanks! I'm VERY happy with how it turned out. I highly recommend this mod to anyone considering a set of $500-$900 set of aftermarket flares. Use the money elsewhere!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

Good job on the trimming. I like the idea of the 8 mm socket. I hate the stupid plastic clips.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:15 PM
JK Junkie

That looks great. I'll definitely keep your tin snip and 8mm deep well socket tips in mind.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by highoctane
Looks great Tony! What are you going to do about the side-marker light? I am toying with the idea of leaving the stock marker on, and then start my cutting directly behind it.

Anthony
Old 06-24-2010, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sixty5vdub
Looks great Tony! What are you going to do about the side-marker light? I am toying with the idea of leaving the stock marker on, and then start my cutting directly behind it.

Anthony
I still have to hit up the auto parts stores and see if anyone has an amber or orange led that will fit in the hole wheer the nutplate is that isn't used anymore, in the 6th pic. Gonna splice an led into the harness that plugged into the stock marker light.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks really good. Im glad I did this too, but i still need to do my backs.

What are you going to do about the side-marker light?
I went to a Diesel truck supply shop and picked up a 3/4" amber LED side marker it cost about $28 for 2

Quick Reply: My fender chop