Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My DIY Lockable Trunk Cargo Cover

Old 07-13-2012, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My DIY Lockable Trunk Cargo Cover

A few people have done them, and I did mine yesterday. Locking cargo cover using the tailgate. I used pine as the material and covered it in a foam (use on boats and jetskis) Looks good and functions well. Added some eye hooks for strap points and added a small shelf for my rear windows when there removed to put the top down. That way there always with me and secure! I need to add a backing to it and will probably remove the automatic lock from the tailgate so someone can't just break in and hit the unlock button.

Its very simple to make, I used 3/4 pine and cut it around the back of the truck to fit in-between the seat and tailgate. It sits on the upper lip and uses the holes already there for the hardtop. Makes it very easy to bolt down with no drilling Total cost under 100 bucks

Old 07-13-2012, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. What is it covered with?
2. Will it work with the hard top too?
3. How does it go on/ come off when the wood wraps around the roll bar?

Looks great, best one I've seen so far
Old 07-13-2012, 09:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Siccjeep
Looks great! The locks should be disabled when the alarm is set after 15 sec tho I just found out
Yep. After you press the alarm button and lock all the doors the tailgate cannot be opened with the switches in the doors. Great feature! Someone over at Jeep was thinking.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

How does it come off. I can't tell what the 2 pieces are? Also where did you get the foam to cover it with and what's the name of it.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's cut in half long ways in between the roll cage bars. It's later with "hydro-turf" which is used primarily on jet skis. Google it, I bought a sheet of it.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 PM
JK Junkie

I don't suppose you have any pictures closeup? I'm curious on how you take it out. I can't "see" where the seam is.

My last adventure making one failed. It worked for the summer, but I'm wanting to do something more sophisticated now.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by EdsJunk
It's cut in half long ways in between the roll cage bars. It's later with "hydro-turf" which is used primarily on jet skis. Google it, I bought a sheet of it.
Cool I found some. Appreciate the info
Old 04-22-2013, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Another great write up man! I wonder what the soft top would sit like in the rear with that cargo cover? About the same?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoFlo
Another great write up man! I wonder what the soft top would sit like in the rear with that cargo cover? About the same?
Yeah sites right on top of it and I can still secure it with those eye bolts.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

All your stuff comes out great. Jealous.

I have a huge piece of diamond plate cut to fit over mine... I started the project 2 years ago and its been in my garage ever since

Realistically its pretty much almost done... I just don't have a softtop and leaving the hardtop off is not much of an option for me considering where I work and all the sprinklers back home.

Quick Reply: My DIY Lockable Trunk Cargo Cover