Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My custom switch panel

Old 10-18-2008, 11:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My custom switch panel

I needed to add 4 switches for 4 sets of lights I'm going to be installing. I was going to do this entire project at once, but decided to chip it off little by little. Today I got the switch panel done. I thought this was pretty neat and wanted to share.

I didn't want to have a row of switches with no indication of what they do. Of course I would know what they do, but others wouldn't. I also didn't want to label them either, so I came up with a simpler idea. I would make a picture of a Jeep and put the switches by the locations of the lights they control. The lights will be...

(2) lights on front bumper
(2) lights on windshield mounts
(2) lights on back bumper
(2) lights underneath Jeep

I bought the CoolTech switch mount plate to start with.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_switch_mount.htm

It is a mounting plate that is completely flat. It comes predrilled with holes for switches, but I didn't need those. So I cut a piece of plexi-glass to fit over the front, drilled holes for the mounting screws and painted the back of the plexi-glass black to cover the holes on the switch mount plate.

A friend of mine is really good at design so I gave him a side picture of my JK and asked him to make a decal of the outline of the Jeep. He came up with a few ideas but I picked out the best one and put the decal on the plexi-glass.

Today I got the switches I wanted from RadioShack and drilled the holes to get those mounted. I decided on a low profile switch that has a red LED indicating the switch is ON. There was a lot of wiggling and adjusting to get everything to fit...I was doing this by myself with my hands holding it still. A drill press would have been awesome to use for this.

I put the switches next to the locations of the lights that they will operate. Now they are ready to be wired up!

The finished project isn't absolutely perfect, I got kinda close to the decal with the switches. I was worried about clearance from the back of the mounting plate. The top middle switch was high up there and I did have to trim a bit of plastic from the bottom of the center dash so it had clearance to fit. Can't see that part anyways.

Check it out..

Old 10-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is reallly sweet. Great idea!
Old 10-19-2008, 02:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is unique!
Old 10-19-2008, 02:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

i like that idea with the jeep picture on the pannel
Old 10-19-2008, 04:45 AM
JK Freak

bump
Old 10-19-2008, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool idea... might be to simple for my taste.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

lol i like it

functional and diff
Old 10-19-2008, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

nice job
Old 10-19-2008, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good
Old 10-19-2008, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Very Nice!! I like the idea of putting the switches in the location of the actual lights. Can't wait to see all the light installed.

Quick Reply: My custom switch panel