Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

MY CB Install...

Old 10-06-2007, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same CB radio, so Id like to see how you modded it to fit ok in there.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Embalmer
I have the same CB radio, so Id like to see how you modded it to fit ok in there.
I'll try and get you some pics. It might take a week or two since the external speaker isn't a high priority for me at the moment.

BTW, I forgot to mention -- the CB is also a little too wide for the brackets. You have to file off around 0.5 mm from each side of the upper and lower brackets. The lower bracket also has to be modded to slide into the console -- a small triangular piece has to be cut off from the rear. You also have to drill the CB cover and use some small "L" shaped brackets to bolt the CB onto the tray.

Hm. Sounds like I definately need to take some pictures. I should have taken some along the way, but forgot. Oh well...

js.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
Thought I'd show off my CB install. I really like the magnet trick to hold the microphone. :-)

And I might as well show the wiring harness too. :-) Here it is pulled out to make changes:

And tucked away:

js.
Do you know if the Tuffy overhead squeaks alot? I had the dual on my TJ, but it was very noisy for a daily driver when the hard top was on.

Just curious
Old 10-07-2007, 03:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKevbo
Do you know if the Tuffy overhead squeaks alot? I had the dual on my TJ, but it was very noisy for a daily driver when the hard top was on.

Just curious
Nope, never heard it squeak - on or off road. Everything is nice and tight.

js.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Very very nice! I've ordered the same overheaad console from Tuffy. My CB is smaller though so I don't think I'll have any mounting issues. Did you have any mounting problems with the console itself?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKGuy
Very very nice! I've ordered the same overheaad console from Tuffy. My CB is smaller though so I don't think I'll have any mounting issues. Did you have any mounting problems with the console itself?
Everything fit very well. No problems except for the little catch that holds the cover up. It's a rather cheap little spring & pin assembly and the spring popped out of mine. I had to drill out the pop rivets, do a little soldering, and then bolt it back in (using the nuts I soldered onto the bracket).

js.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:04 AM
JK Super Freak

I might as well post some pics of the PA speaker too. :-)

End the finished install:

js.
Looks good! Mine is mounted in the same place, although its a bit quiet. My CB Radio manual said to use a 4W 8OHM horn. Is that the same as what you're using? Is there any way to amplify the output and use a louder horn?
Old 11-23-2007, 09:16 AM
JK Super Freak

JS looks very clean. You do very good work!
Old 11-23-2007, 09:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DeepSky
Looks good! Mine is mounted in the same place, although its a bit quiet. My CB Radio manual said to use a 4W 8OHM horn. Is that the same as what you're using? Is there any way to amplify the output and use a louder horn?
My Cobra has a "Dynamike" feature that amplifies the microphone, so I can control the volume of the PA speaker. Check to see if your CB has something similar.

js.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:52 AM
JK Super Freak

My Cobra has a "Dynamike" feature that amplifies the microphone, so I can control the volume of the PA speaker. Check to see if your CB has something similar.

js.
Well my CB does amplify the speaker a bit, the volume knob on the CB will control the volume coming out of the horn but I always have to turn the volume knob up to 75-100% to make it worth while, anything lower and I might as well just yell out the window

Is yours the same way? THat is 75-100% volume knob when on the PA function?

Quick Reply: MY CB Install...