Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

MY Bedline Door Hinges

Old 06-07-2009, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY Bedline Door Hinges

Following dyolfknip's writeup I started this little project last Saturday. Had to have the doors off all week, which wasn't so bad, until my wife got caught in a thunderstorm on the way home from WalMart on Friday, but that's another story

All in all it was pretty easy to do, although it would have taken half the time if I didn't have 4 doors to do and I was using a sandblaster instead of a dremel to prep. I also had to do some minor tweaking of the placement of the hinges and on both passenger side doors the door latch striker plate to get the doors to close properly.

Anyway I dropped the top down today to bake the disgusting mildew smell out of the carpet and decided to take some pictures:

I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. The texture and color of the bedliner matches my bumper almost perfectly and the texture is a pretty close match to the plastic pieces of the Jeep, at least from a distance.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:56 AM
JK Junkie

i like it nice job!
Old 06-07-2009, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

i just did mine as well, for the inside of the door hinges I should have done what you did and left the bolts body color...i sprayed them in bedliner and ended up stripping it off them putting them back on so now Ive gotta cover them in something else. Nice job though!
Old 06-07-2009, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks great. Every time someone else posts this mod I get closer to doing it my self!!!

How has everyone been keeping the paint on the outside bolts? You'd think it would flake out when you torque the allen bolts...
Old 06-07-2009, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

May I ask exactly what kind of bedliner you guys seem to be using to do these hinges/grilles, etc? I'm sure I've seen bedliner in a can before, but all I can seem to get through my distributors is the type of bedliner you paint on?

I considered buying the Rugged Ridge hinge covers to achieve this kind of look, but it would cost like $150 to do all the hinges on my 2dr.

Anyhow, awesome results and I love the look!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SilverX
May I ask exactly what kind of bedliner you guys seem to be using to do these hinges/grilles, etc? I'm sure I've seen bedliner in a can before, but all I can seem to get through my distributors is the type of bedliner you paint on?

I considered buying the Rugged Ridge hinge covers to achieve this kind of look, but it would cost like $150 to do all the hinges on my 2dr.

Duplicolor makes some, if you go to their website you can see where its sold where you live
Old 06-07-2009, 09:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SW4006
How has everyone been keeping the paint on the outside bolts? You'd think it would flake out when you torque the allen bolts...
As you could see I bedlined the outside torx bolts. I didn't even bother sanding them down, I just sprayed right over top of the clear coat and factory paint. Surprisingly enough with a lot of care I was able to torque down almost all of the bolts w/o removing any bedliner. There are 2 or 3 that if you look at from 1 foot or less away you can see a few specks of red, but nothing worth trying to touch up.

Originally Posted by SilverX

Thanks! I actually considered the rugged ridge covers, but with 4 doors the cost would have been ridiculous. I wasn't able to find the duplicolor bedliner at my Autozone so I used Rustoleum brand. I was happy with it's perfomance.

Originally Posted by 07Rubi2dr
i just did mine as well, for the inside of the door hinges I should have done what you did and left the bolts body color...i sprayed them in bedliner and ended up stripping it off them putting them back on so now Ive gotta cover them in something else. Nice job though!
I was afraid that would happen so I left them painted. Sure enough, when I went to tighten them down almost all of them had paint chip off. I had to go back over them with some touchup paint.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

"As you could see I bedlined the outside torx bolts. I didn't even bother sanding them down, I just sprayed right over top of the clear coat and factory paint. Surprisingly enough with a lot of care I was able to torque down almost all of the bolts w/o removing any bedliner. There are 2 or 3 that if you look at from 1 foot or less away you can see a few specks of red, but nothing worth trying to touch up."

Very cool. I wonder how detonator yellow bolts would look with black hinges... When you removed the red bolts did the allen wrench mess up the factory finish?
Old 06-07-2009, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

I really like this mod, but I'd like to see it on a white JK!!! This looks sick on the red....
Old 06-07-2009, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

That's a freaking awesome idea!

Quick Reply: MY Bedline Door Hinges