Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My axle build thread

Old 07-26-2012, 04:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043[1].jpg
Views:	161
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	345982Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044[1].jpg
Views:	143
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	345986Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042[1].jpg
Views:	147
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	345987

I also stripped both axles, painted them, replaced the drag link and tie rod ends, and in my downtime built a much needed switch panel...and a few other odds and ends that I cant remember.

And yes, your pretty much reading the dates right. Going back from today, I havent driven my jeep in 3 months haha
Old 07-26-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tank29
Any updates?...I'm considering this type of build to get me by until I can front the $$$ for some JY axles or PR44's...
I'm sure this is ancient to you...but....

Since everybodys wondering about the volnurability of the front axle with the big meats, in particular the R&P, I'll say this...and note that this info comes from first hand knowledge, putting MY hands on the parts..

-I will NOT be able to carelessly beat the snot out of my jeep
-I went with 5.13's vs 4.88's per a recommendation from NR 4x4...in hindsight, 4.88's would have been fine
-With 5.13's, or 5.38's, the pinion on both the 44 and 30 are EXTREMELY small and not that much of a difference between the two. Yes the 44 is bigger, and I'll post a pic if somebody is interested, but the difference between the 3.21 pinion for the 44 and the 5.13...was staggering.

I'd ditch the Prorock route in a heartbeat. Soon I'll put both axles for sale and build some tons, as I'm already this far in. Matter of fact I just found a D70/D60 combo on another forum for 800 bucks. And the fab work is fun anyway...

But for now, and for the forseeable future, my front axle will be fine...period....Its gussted, trussed, plated, and open, but I'll be the first to let you know if I see a failure, and I'm headin to the mountains as soon as the gears are broken in.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post some more pics of the axle showing where you reinforced it?

Quick Reply: My axle build thread