Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My axle build thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do gussets have to do with 37" tires? Aren't all the c-gussets designed to keep the c's from opening up and the axle truss or gussets reduce flex due to hitting big bumps. Neither appear to have anything to do with tire size unless it is the tire size that makes you feel your jeep can do anything.
The bigger tire is going to place more strain on the drive train as it attempts to move the vehicle much faster for a given engine, drive shaft and axle speed. They are going to cause greater stress on the drive train as it attempts to lift the vehicle over obstacles using a longer lever (overall "wheel and axle" radius in comparison to stock). As far as supporting a vertical load goes there is no change. What am I missing?

Thank you.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have read the C's are a very weak link in the design. Soe have even commented that stock tires should require gusseting for any heavy type of wheeling.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zmotorsports
It is about leverage. The factory "C's" were designed to handle the stress of a <32" tire. By installing larger tires on the vehicle it changes the amount of leverage that is placed on the "C". By installing the gussets on the C's and spreading the load out over a larger area and out onto the axle it lessens the chance of the C becoming displaced on the end of the axle which is directly related to camber.

Mike.
How is the bigger tire causing more leverage on the "C"?
Old 12-17-2011, 12:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bbrown626

How is the bigger tire causing more leverage on the "C"?
It's the lateral forces from the additional height of the tire (the moment) on the c's as opposed to the vertical force of gravity.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I`m watching.I bought another d30 months ago for this very reason.I found mine with 5.13 gears like I already had and a tru-trac.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great thread! Mine goes in on wednesday for a "Truss job".

Click image for larger version

Name:	JKRubicon44.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	251045
Old 01-05-2012, 02:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

What is going on?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any guesses why related posts with pictures of interest are disappearing?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Any updates?...I'm considering this type of build to get me by until I can front the $$$ for some JY axles or PR44's...
Old 07-26-2012, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040[1].jpg
Views:	141
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	345976

So yeah I forgot all about this thread haha...But anyway, I got it done, just took the "maiden voyage" 30 minutes ago. If anybody needs any detail, just pm me...but here's the basic breakdown...

-Yukon 5.13's
-Both carriers left open
-Pure Jeep truss/gusset/lca skid package
-Pitbull Rocker 37's
-Trail worthy fab wheels

I did EVERY step of this myself, including the welding...mabe 5 times had somebody hold a wrench for me, and thats no bs....Gears were not that difficult, just time consuming and at times, VERY frustrating to get right....BUT, the payoff is huge. It looks great, gears are SWEET...the only but I'm working out is the tire balance, but that might take some time...

Quick Reply: My axle build thread