Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My axle build thread

Old 12-09-2011, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you are sticking with your d30 man but have you considered a pr44? I had all my parts ordered for my d30 gears lockers sleeves gussets shafts etc.. but I started thinking real hard on what size tire I was going to be running (37 in toyos) and wondered if the d30 would hold up. Needless to say I returned those parts and ordered a pr44 with ARB 5.13s and chromoly shafts. It all depends on how you wheel your rig I tend to get heavy on the throttle now and then thats why I went this route. On a side note I will have a brand new 2012 d30 for a little nothing here in about a month.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think that PR is double his whole build budget. Sweet axle though.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cant wait to see how it turns out and your thoughts on the trail with it. I of course have the D30 in my sport and will be looking at a way to beef it up as I have too many hobbies (and kids) to drop the coin on a pr44 or 60. But with future thoughts of a hemi I may just save up and go with a 60 or something, but time will tell and I have no patience. Good luck on the build.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trbizwiz
One thought. I have done some research on axle sleeves adn trusses. You should consider putting a preload on the axle prior to welding the sleeve and truss. Better for the axle to have a bit of a frown that a bit of a smile. Especailly since the smile is what the truss and sleeves are trying to avoid.
I've heard this as well, and given it some thought. I have (at my shop) 6" chains that are bolted to the concrete floor for reasons like this...Chain it up on both sides, jack it up from the middle and weld your truss.

However, I'm just gonna measure the axle to assure its straight and weld the truss right on, don't want any funny tire wear issues.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hurst11JK
Cant wait to see how it turns out and your thoughts on the trail with it. I of course have the D30 in my sport and will be looking at a way to beef it up as I have too many hobbies (and kids) to drop the coin on a pr44 or 60. But with future thoughts of a hemi I may just save up and go with a 60 or something, but time will tell and I have no patience. Good luck on the build.
I'm in the same boat as you man, less the kids haha. I'd love to spend every dime I've got on my jeep, and then say I'll keep it literally forever. But I know thats not true. I've got about 85K on the clock, and around 150K the fact is I'll probably sell it.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Vinson Clark
I know you are sticking with your d30 man but have you considered a pr44? I had all my parts ordered for my d30 gears lockers sleeves gussets shafts etc.. but I started thinking real hard on what size tire I was going to be running (37 in toyos) and wondered if the d30 would hold up. Needless to say I returned those parts and ordered a pr44 with ARB 5.13s and chromoly shafts. It all depends on how you wheel your rig I tend to get heavy on the throttle now and then thats why I went this route. On a side note I will have a brand new 2012 d30 for a little nothing here in about a month.
I'd love a PR44, and contrary to a lot of people on this thread who think I am (lol), I'm not a complete moron. As the post above says I'd love to keep my Jk forever, but I won't. I have 85K now and at 150K or thereabouts its goin away for a new project most likely.

However, I REALLY think this D30 is gonna be pretty damn tough by the time I'm done..

Stay tuned, parts list and plan should be up by next Friday
Old 12-15-2011, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Suscribed. Good luck man! I'm in the same position right now, just waiting for some final parts to show up and the weather to dry up so i can start welding. I'm doing inner and outer sleeves on the D30 as well as an inner and outer C gusset top and bottom which are also in addition to a truss (most likely homemade), and LCA skids. 5.13's and an Aussie. Now you have me considering sending the gears off to get treated per your earlier post, thanks for finding that!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm watching this one closely. I'm deciding on building up my 30 in next week or so. Don't have the 4k to put into a pr44 but would like to get some use with my 37s. Don't have the ability to homemade my own gussets I will have to do pure jeep or Evo or something.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:42 AM
JK Freak

Scotty, thanks for sharing your project. I'm in the same position as you, I want to run 37's, but I can't afford a PR-44.

Subscribed....
Old 12-16-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed! Should be a cool thread

Quick Reply: My axle build thread