Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My axle build thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I will look into this now as well. For 50 bucks it's worth a try.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scotty6336

It seems the same way to me. But hey, if they say so right? Either way I'd say for 50 bucks plus shipping, its a no brainer.
Yeah I'd have to see number before I'd worry, I hated material science anyway

I'd say if it's stronger and a cheap addition do it.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Early in the thread you said that the D44 is not much stronger housing than the D30. You are completely right on that. However the advantage is the tooth count on D44 pinions vs D30 pinions. Seems the cryo may just offset this issue somewhat especially with a well set up set of gears.
I am very interested in your thread. I have been thinking about a similar build myself. I have instant subscribed.
What kind of truss are you planning? Home built? Long side only? Modified D44 truss? Are you planning on inner or outer sleeving?
Awesome thread. Thanks
Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 AM
JK Junkie

Cool idea! Good luck!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
Yukon has a new 5.13 that fits in the 30. I'm running that right now.
where did you get them at... seems like it could be a good option for those of us that were just too damn cheap to buy anything but a sport to start with! ahaha
Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trbizwiz
Early in the thread you said that the D44 is not much stronger housing than the D30. You are completely right on that. However the advantage is the tooth count on D44 pinions vs D30 pinions. Seems the cryo may just offset this issue somewhat especially with a well set up set of gears.
I am very interested in your thread. I have been thinking about a similar build myself. I have instant subscribed.
What kind of truss are you planning? Home built? Long side only? Modified D44 truss? Are you planning on inner or outer sleeving?
Awesome thread. Thanks
This is EXACTLY what I'm thinking. The ONLY difference will be the R&P, and this can be offset by sticking with 37's or smaller (guys are running 40's on 44's and this seems acceptable, but 37's on a D30 for some reason is ludicris) and keeping it on a 4.88 gear set and doing this cyro treatment.

As far as the truss, I've seen some by RK, Rustys, and a handful of others. I'd like to make my own perhaps, just depends on cost. I do have access to a plasma cutter, so really it would all be measuring....mabe make a styrofoam tempelate or something like that, one that goes end to end, or as close as I can get it.

We'll see. I'm gonna be pretty busy this weekend but next weekend I plan on having everything planned out, parts list, etc.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and I'm doing INNER sleeving. It'll be easy as I'll have the used D30 sitting in my garage that I'll be building, inner sleeves will also assure the housing is straight as they'll have trouble going in if it isn't.

That, amongst other reasons btw is the purpose for buying another used 30 housing. Along with the obvious fact that I can drive my jeep while I build it, really take my time and assure everything is right....Then sell my original housing so no actual $$ will be spent.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds great. Cool thread.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty6336
Then sell my original housing so no actual $$ will be spent.
Or start another slow build on it for when you break the new built housing? I'm sure you'll learn a few things on the build-up of the first housing that you can do different or better on the second.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

One thought. I have done some research on axle sleeves adn trusses. You should consider putting a preload on the axle prior to welding the sleeve and truss. Better for the axle to have a bit of a frown that a bit of a smile. Especailly since the smile is what the truss and sleeves are trying to avoid.

Quick Reply: My axle build thread