Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My axle build thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KiokenJK
subscribed, im on the same boat as you and may be doing the super 30 kit. keep us all updated pls
I plan to..Once my garage/shop is done I'm going to officially start ordering parts (3 weeks from now roughly) find an axle and start this thing. I think if I can successfully re-gear, lock (or lsd) and reinforce both axles for $2500.00 or less it ought to generate some interest, though I'm sure its been done before.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti
Hows about a Ford 8.8 out of a ranger or exploder? In stock trim they are wayyyyyyyy stronger than a D44 and cheaper to build. TJ guys have done this. Stock TJ wheels fit it since it is a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. I plan on doing a build myself since a pro rock is out of the question for now and people think a D44 out of a Rubicon is worth gold and housing wise it is no stronger than a D30.

As an added plus, there seems to be a lot of them floating around.

Cost $200 used at bone yard or Craigslist.
Its just the right width.
$200 for JK bracket kit.
$299 for a cheap locker
$100 for steel to weld a cheap truss to it.

Edit, NM you are doing a front axle. In that case there are plenty of D44s out of them for $200.
Yeah I've looked into this, its just the Fing tone rings/abs bullsh%$ that I don't want to deal with. Not to mention lots of other things. I could, I'm sure, measure out and weld the brackets where they need to be, but thats probably I little more than I want to tackle right now.

In the future, mabe another axle swap wil be in the plans. But for now, I'm keeping it cheap, simple, and something other people can do.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

For anyone interested in doing this, I found some good, unbiased info in an article by 4wheeler magazine. The below is copy and pasted from that article.

"But did you know that you can improve the strength of a ring and pinion gearset by simply having it cryogenically treated? Cryogenics bathes the metal in liquid nitrogen at minus-301 degrees Fahrenheit. The process changes the state of the metal, making it much less likely to develop fractures or cracks. The results are, in the simplest of terms, stronger, more durable metal with a much higher yield strength. We sent our Dana 30 gears out to Cryo Science of Oceanside, California, to have this treatment applied. When the Dana 30 gearset was returned to us, the strength was nearly the same as that of the Dana 44 unit in the picture"

Read more: http://www.****************/techartic...#ixzz1g3AqPIrB
Old 12-09-2011, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty6336
For anyone interested in doing this, I found some good, unbiased info in an article by 4wheeler magazine. The below is copy and pasted from that article.

"But did you know that you can improve the strength of a ring and pinion gearset by simply having it cryogenically treated? Cryogenics bathes the metal in liquid nitrogen at minus-301 degrees Fahrenheit. The process changes the state of the metal, making it much less likely to develop fractures or cracks. The results are, in the simplest of terms, stronger, more durable metal with a much higher yield strength. We sent our Dana 30 gears out to Cryo Science of Oceanside, California, to have this treatment applied. When the Dana 30 gearset was returned to us, the strength was nearly the same as that of the Dana 44 unit in the picture"

Read more: http://www.****************/techartic...#ixzz1g3AqPIrB
Interesting... Definitely got my attention now.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Junkie

Wow. I bought my gears already cryo treated from a forum member who never installed them. 'Til now I was dubious about the benefit in this application, but now I think it might be a nice bonus.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Awesome that link didn't last long
Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkhounddawg
Interesting... Definitely got my attention now.
Originally Posted by tslewisz
Wow. I bought my gears already cryo treated from a forum member who never installed them. 'Til now I was dubious about the benefit in this application, but now I think it might be a nice bonus.
Yeah x3. Got my attention to say the least. I'm gonna try to find the whole article again, VERY good stuff. For the pricepoint you can't beat it, even if its not quite as strong as they say.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Cryo treatment makes the gears less likely to propagate micro cracks from machining the teeth as you have tightened the "grains", therefore protecting it from failure, but I would feel this process makes them more brittle, less ductile, so sudden harsh violent loadings could cause more catastrophic failures compared to standard gears.

I'm not denying they're stronger by any means, just stating failure events might be much more violent and damage causing to surrounding areas.

Definitely cool info tho
Old 12-09-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Junkie

"Tougher" is the term I've heard used to describe cryo'd parts. Anyway:

h__p://www.****************/techarticles/drivetrain/129_1103_making_stock_dana_30_axles_survive/index.html

The forum software busts the URL for F O U R W H E E L E R . C O M
Old 12-09-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKred
Cryo treatment makes the gears less likely to propagate micro cracks from machining the teeth as you have tightened the "grains", therefore protecting it from failure, but I would feel this process makes them more brittle, less ductile, so sudden harsh violent loadings could cause more catastrophic failures compared to standard gears.

I'm not denying they're stronger by any means, just stating failure events might be much more violent and damage causing to surrounding areas.

Definitely cool info tho
It seems the same way to me. But hey, if they say so right? Either way I'd say for 50 bucks plus shipping, its a no brainer.

Quick Reply: My axle build thread