Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My axle build thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My axle build thread

Alright, here goes.

I'll start here...like many other members on this forum I've been in a dilemma regarding my axle set up. Some here know me, most don't, but junkyard 1-tons was my original plan. I scrapped this idea primarily due to costs. Whether or not I had the money doesn't matter, I commend those who pulled it off but the bottom line is built 1 tons (D60 front Sterling 10.5 rear) are fawking expensive once all is said and done. Pro Rocks? Curries? awesome setups, but the reality is its the same story. Dumping 15 grand into axles on a basically new vehicle you paid an assload of money for is, well, for most of us, out of the question.

Now, I've got modest tools, decent mechanical inclination, a good garage to work in, and lucky enough, a slew of info at my finger tips so I'm pretty sure this will turn out well. I bought my JK all stock, and unlike my previous rigs, I'll be damned if someone else is going to work on it....no matter what, its all DIY for this guy.

My JK, as stands right now, is pretty much this: Suspension is more or less complete (RK 3 link rear upper to come) engine is fine i guess, driveshafts can kiss my ass until they fail, bumpers, winch, tires, accessories...covered. (6-speed, 2 door, 3.21's 34" KM2's)

Now its time for the meat & potatoes of this build. The "axle build thread"

-THE GOAL-"super 30/44 setup" capable of reliably running a true 37" tire, LOCKED...we will leave the tire size/lift/clearance issues aside for now.
-THE BUDGET-$2500.00 smackers, front AND rear.
-THE REASON FOR THE THREAD-I've been lurking/posting/watching/researching all that I can on this and other forums for years. It seems the most common question/dilemma (not to be repetitive) is axle strength questions. The JK 30 is stronger than its predecessors and WILL handle big tires fairly reliably if not abused. I've seen a lot of posts and info on how "weak" this axle is.....Fact is that's not true and posts/threads like that can coax a new jeep owner into not wheeling his/her jeep for fear of some catastrophic failure.

This build will apply to anyone here with a decent set of tools and some mechanical skills and most importantly, y can't be scared.

So, lets get started, planman your the first who comes to mind, I've been following your posts here and elsewhere for quite a wile and I'd love to see some clever thoughts here, but this is my rough plan...My "super 30/44 build" should start in the next month once I'm done with this tedious garage re-model.

I'll note that due to the AWESOME customer service I've received before, as many parts as possible will be purchased from David at North Ridge...sorry for the plug, but this guy is flat out awesome.

-Get a used D30 assy
-Gear set and master O/H kit (Front AND rear)
-Sleeves/Gussets, and yes, a truss as well
-Lockers...probably Tru-trac, ARB/OX is out due to costs, no "lunch boxes"...I want to keep it safe for the northern guys, tru trac shouldn't be that bad.
-LCA skids
-Diff covers/few other things.
-Shafts. (We'll stick with 27 spline count as you'll have some trail spares when its all said and done.)

My rough plan is to gear (VERY CAREFULLY) the used 30 that I bought WITH the locker (will need a new carrier), really take my time with this and when done, swap in...Drive a few hundred miles around town, swap them back, check for wear patterns. If all looks good, I'll continue on....

Input is appreciated...I'll post pics as I go, my JK as is right now is in my profile.

Scott
Old 12-07-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait. Subscribed!
Old 12-07-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Junkie

Good luck. I'll be watching.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

-THE GOAL-"super 30/44 setup" capable of reliably running a true 37" tire, LOCKED...we will leave the tire size/lift/clearance issues aside for now.
-THE BUDGET-$2500.00 smackers, front AND rear.
You might edit the super 30/44 part. The jk super 30 kit is close to $1900, the jk super 44 is around $1300.

For those who are not DIY welders and gear installers, I definitely lean towards a 44 or 60 swap. But this type of thread is great for the folks with the skills!! Be sure to add parts, pics, problems and prices as you go.

Also, what are the ballpark figures you came up with for the diy junkyard 60's?

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-07-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You might edit the super 30/44 part. The jk super 30 kit is close to $1900, the jk super 44 is around $1300.

For those who are not DIY welders and gear installers, I definitely lean towards a 44 or 60 swap. But this type of thread is great for the folks with the skills!! Be sure to add parts, pics, problems and prices as you go.

Also, what are the ballpark figures you came up with for the diy junkyard 60's?
Good point, by "super 30/44" I basically just meant built up 30/44, I'll edit later today.

As far as the 60's went, $1200 for the pair, low mileage and in very good shape. These were through a salvage yard I deal with regularly with (LKQ)

Ballpark once built? I got scared after a few other guys who had the build done told me to plan on 7K each, I was hoping to have them built at 3K each, max.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:49 AM
JK Freak

To add, a lot of guys are probably wondering what the point is of building up the 30 instead of getting a used 44. Here's my list of reasons.

-Around here at least, used 44 housings are real tough to come by locally. If you do find one, their usually complete assemblies and cost waaaay too much, I've found guys asking as much as $2500.00. I'll also only be going to 4.88's, which should be pretty stout in the 30. I mean a lot of people run 5.38's in 44's, which doesen't seem THAT much tougher of an axle to me.

I hope to get the used 30 housing for $200, and sell my old one for the same to re-coup.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scotty6336
To add, a lot of guys are probably wondering what the point is of building up the 30 instead of getting a used 44. Here's my list of reasons.

-Around here at least, used 44 housings are real tough to come by locally. If you do find one, their usually complete assemblies and cost waaaay too much, I've found guys asking as much as $2500.00. I'll also only be going to 4.88's, which should be pretty stout in the 30. I mean a lot of people run 5.38's in 44's, which doesen't seem THAT much tougher of an axle to me.

I hope to get the used 30 housing for $200, and sell my old one for the same to re-coup.
Yukon has a new 5.13 that fits in the 30. I'm running that right now.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by zmotorsports
Scott, I just subscribed to your thread as well. I am doing very similar only with 44's front and rear. David @ Northridge 4x4 is a good guy. I ordered my components last week and they showed up at my doorstep last night. I am planning on performing my mods over the Christmas holiday as I took a few days off and I am not taking on any work in my shop that week.

The parts that showed up last night are as follows:

*RCV front axle shafts
*Ten Factory rear axle shafts
*Yukon 5.38 gears (F&R)
*ARB diffential covers (F&R)
*EVO sleeves/gussets/LCA brackets

I also just bought some JKS ACOS that I will be installing on Saturday so I can compensate for my Warn Powerplant/bumper combination sag. I need 1 1/4" to bring my rig back to level after the added weight. Once I get the ACOS under the Jeep on Saturday I can measure for driveshafts so I can call and order my Tom Woods shafts next week.

I feel this will be a fairly stout drivetrain afterwards and more than likely handle anything and everything I plan to throw at it.

I don't want to hi-jack your thread but I will be documenting the modifications on my build thread as well.

Good luck and I look forward to watching your progress.

Mike.
Your not hi-jacking man, we all learn from each other. Those RCV's are gonna be sweet. I'm also looking at Yukon gears, Ten shafts were already decided on. You planning on doing the gears yourself??
Old 12-08-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Junkie

I have Yukon gears, as do a LOT of people. I went with 5.13's (they've been cryo treated, for what that's worth) and have been debating about TrueTrac's front and rear. I'll probably do it. I think one of those will be easier on my little gears than a locker and our BLD should help make it work even better than they do in other rigs.

Most recently, ECHO is very happy w/ his TT's. He put up a cool creek running video a while back.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

subscribed, im on the same boat as you and may be doing the super 30 kit. keep us all updated pls

Quick Reply: My axle build thread