Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My 3.8 is coming out, what are good options...

Old 02-26-2011, 02:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeepBobWinnipeg
Any experience/opinions on the RIPP supercharger?

http://www.rippmods.com/ProductDetai...1&Show=ExtInfo

More affordable, still need an exhaust, but Hemi's are way more work and more money too.

I'm just wondering if anyone has done the Ripp?
yup i have had a RIPP for about 20 k.. still running strong... they are doing a RIPP vs 5.7 hemi on extreme 4x4 this weekend... you should check it out lots of info about RIPP on this forum.. good guys
Old 02-27-2011, 11:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say Cummins 4BT!...you would have the most badass sap in my opinion if you go this route...plus it should be cheaper than a Hemi
Old 02-27-2011, 11:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeepBobWinnipeg
The motor of my 07 Wrangler is coming out, warranty will replace the short block...........
It sounds like you have the lifetime warranty?? If you do I'd keep the 3.8 since you have a mod friendly dealer. Either way I'd let them warranty the 3.8 work and then taking your time looking into other options.

For me, my existing engine/tranny lifetime warranty is enough to not make me spend the 10K on DYI hemi. Without that, the only limiting factor would be a person pocket depth.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wasntborn2follow
where did you buy your engine and trans from?
pretty sure he got it from car-parts.com, but don't hold me to that.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toymaster
For me, my existing engine/tranny lifetime warranty is enough to not make me spend the 10K on DYI hemi. Without that, the only limiting factor would be a person pocket depth.
After going around and around with Chyrsler/Jeep, they told me I was on my own. I am the third owner (one of which was the place I bought the Jeep from). So, no warranty plus the way the 3.8L just plain sucks led me to go the Hemi route.

Originally Posted by wasntborn2follow
where did you buy your engine and trans from?
Originally Posted by racinfast002
pretty sure he got it from car-parts.com, but don't hold me to that.
Yep. Sorry I didn't answer this earlier. carparts.com is a great place to search for parts. I looked for about 4 months before I finally got the deal I was looking for.

Anthony
Old 03-29-2011, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

As much crap as people will probably give for the Pentastar route, I'm thinking it might be a solid option. It could be pumping out as much as 280HP and respective ammount of torque depending on how they configure the block. I wonder what CPU & harness mods would be required?

The stupid question is how much power do you really need? But i know the answer...
Old 03-29-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sage_GPJK_671
I say Cummins 4BT!...you would have the most badass sap in my opinion if you go this route...plus it should be cheaper than a Hemi
x2 except the price of diesel is 30-40c higher here in TX
Old 03-31-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I'd pick up a 5.3 LS motor. They're everywhere for $700 - $800 for the whole thing. There's one in the parts section of greatlakes4x4 dot com right now for $700.

I know a guy here in Michigan that will build a plug n play wiring harness for you for only a couple hundred bucks. After that it's a few adapters from AA and some exhaust work. I'd be willing to bet it could be done for under $4k all told, and you'd have as much power as the hemi, and a potential 20+mpg too.

Last edited by TimberwolfFXDL; 03-31-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TimberwolfFXDL
I think i'd pick up an 5.3 LS motor. There everywhere for $700 - $800 for the whole thing. There's one in the parts section of greatlakes4x4 dot com right now for $700.

I know a guy here in Michigan that will build a plug n play wiring harness for you for only a couple hundred bucks. After that it's a few adapters from AA and some exhaust work. I'd be willing to bet it could be done for under $4k all told, and you'd have as much power as the hemi, and a potential 20+mpg too.
I like this idea.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Freak

X2 Thumbsup

Quick Reply: My 3.8 is coming out, what are good options...