Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Muffler sound comparison, Borla, Magnaflow and Flowmaster

Old 03-23-2008, 08:44 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
what magnaflow muffler is that. What the part number, I would just like to replace the stock one with it, in the same location for now. As long as its tuck up I wont have any issues with it.
It's a 14377. I wouldn't use it for a direct replacement though. You don't need the same side offset for a direct replacement. This means that you can get a non-polished muffler, which will cost you less money. You can also get a larger muffler, which should have a better (deeper) sound. Look at the model number 11256. These are both 4 X 9 ovals. The magnaflow site is fairly easy, once you get to the "universal mufflers" page.

BTW, I still have the Borla muffler and I'd like to sell it. Make me a fair offer and it's yours. It has all off about 5 minutes of runtime on it and looks brand new. For that matter, I still have the Flowmaster and Magnaflow resonator.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently relocated my exhaust and installed a Magnaflow inline and got rid of the factory muffler.

Magnaflow #11226
Body Type: 4" X 9" Oval
Body Length: 14"
Overall Length: 20"

The damn thing sounds like a ricer! I hate it and I lost about a 1 mile per gallon too.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MileHighJoe
Just finished intalling my Magnaflow cat-back number 16666, click for pics, its quiet at start but has a great deep tone when you get it going. I can try and record a video if anyone can tell me how to upload it

thanks
thats nice! how much was that system?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Woods
It's a 14377. I wouldn't use it for a direct replacement though. You don't need the same side offset for a direct replacement. This means that you can get a non-polished muffler, which will cost you less money. You can also get a larger muffler, which should have a better (deeper) sound. Look at the model number 11256. These are both 4 X 9 ovals. The magnaflow site is fairly easy, once you get to the "universal mufflers" page.

BTW, I still have the Borla muffler and I'd like to sell it. Make me a fair offer and it's yours. It has all off about 5 minutes of runtime on it and looks brand new. For that matter, I still have the Flowmaster and Magnaflow resonator.
is 4x9 the size you used in those tests?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I will say that I have had my Magnaflow Catback in for about a year now and still sounds great. I love it, but this is MO
Old 03-24-2008, 06:48 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ragin Gage
I recently relocated my exhaust and installed a Magnaflow inline and got rid of the factory muffler.

Magnaflow #11226
Body Type: 4" X 9" Oval
Body Length: 14"
Overall Length: 20"

The damn thing sounds like a ricer! I hate it and I lost about a 1 mile per gallon too.

Any suggestions?

To start, I'm figuring out that the term ricer is relative. I think that some guys really like the sound that an aftermarket muffler makes, and others hate the same sound. The JK motor is never going to sound like a big V8.

Regarding mileage. Did you have a muffler shop make the tail pipe? If so, then the piping will most likely be a smaller diameter at the bends. This restricts air flow, and could hurt your mileage. On guy reset his computer, ( think a complete reset, as in disconnected the battery or something, and his mileage improved. The computer is not a good way to track mileage. Accurate mileage calcs are based on odometer readings and gallon's used. I do think the computer works for relative comparisons though HTH.
is 4x9 the size you used in those tests?
Yes. In post #31, I gave the model number.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

ok thanks woods!
Old 03-24-2008, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

thats nice! how much was that system?
picked it up on ebay for 425 w/ free shipping. not bad i guess. quadra and 4wd have it for 475+ and probably another 30 for shipping.

drove it for the first time today and it has great sound and great pick up at 4500rpm
Old 03-24-2008, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Yes. In post #31, I gave the model number.
I did have a muffler shop do the install. They used 2 1/2 pipe that matched up to the factory pipe. The only difference is that they ran the pipe out the left side, not any more bends than factory. I figured the mileage by hand. I did not reset the computer.

The sound is god awful...a suped up honda drove by me and we sounded the same...except mine wasn't as loud thankfully. I didn't expect it to sound like my mustang as no engine not V6, V10 or V12 sounds as good as a V8. That said, my buddy's Ford Explorer with V6 had a nice rumble to it after he added a Flowmaster. So I guess thats my next step.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

The muffler is more protected, as it sits closer to the frame and lower control arm. It is just above the bottom of the frame rail.

Every time I test a muffler, I have to buy it new, then sell it as used. I just can't afford to test every one.
I can vouch for the protected part. Mine coated in Trabuco mud,

but has survived a couple of good hits to the frame rail and slider.

Quick Reply: Muffler sound comparison, Borla, Magnaflow and Flowmaster