Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Muffler sound comparison, Borla, Magnaflow and Flowmaster

Old 03-21-2008, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Woods
I know that the Magnaflow mellows with time, quite a bit, but I don't know about the Borla.
Yes, this is true for my setup as well. Everything seems to settle in... or it could be the 2" of caked on mud.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

Do you need the evap canister moved to run that set up?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

So no one else likes the Flowmaster? The borla and magnaflow have too much of a ricey sound. I like the Flowmaster for sure.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

which flowmaster was it? there are a lot of options..some people are running the 40, others the 50, and even others are running other models. I personally run the flowmaster super 40.

I like the sound it has..and it sounds more like the magnaflow than what you played there. Though it gurgles a bit more.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
which flowmaster was it? there are a lot of options..some people are running the 40, others the 50, and even others are running other models. I personally run the flowmaster super 40.

I like the sound it has..and it sounds more like the magnaflow than what you played there. Though it gurgles a bit more.
I am looking at getting a flowmaster, but I'm really confused as to which one to get. I looked into the 50 SUV but some complained that it was actually a little too quiet. Not sure which one that was in the video, but that sounded pretty good. Do you have a sound byte of you super 40?
Old 03-21-2008, 07:52 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
Do you need the evap canister moved to run that set up?
No

Originally Posted by Tebo
So no one else likes the Flowmaster? The borla and magnaflow have too much of a ricey sound. I like the Flowmaster for sure.
That's an interesting take on the video. Two of us shot this video. In person, we both thought that Flowmaster sounded more ricey. Ricey must be a relative term. To clarify, the Borla and the Magnaflow had a deeper tone compared to the Flowmaster. The Flowmaster had a sharper higher pitch tone. Quite a bit louder also.

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC

It was a Flowmaster model #942554, which is a 50 series (I previously thought it was a 40) HERE's A LINK
Old 03-21-2008, 08:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Woods
It's a kit, that by chance, I just happen to offer. PM sent, with details. It's installed with band clamps, not welded.

The muffler model number is a 14377. There are other less expensive Magnaflow mufflers, that will sound the same. I use this one, because when used with my Evap Can relocation kit, it can be mounted next to the lower rear control arm.
you are gonna make some money off me soon I can tell...LOL....nice job I like the magnaflow myself...another question....did you move the heat shield over to above the muffler when you moved the muffler..??...doesn't it get alittle warm where it is?
Old 03-21-2008, 08:50 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07crawler
you are gonna make some money off me soon I can tell...LOL....nice job I like the magnaflow myself...another question....did you move the heat shield over to above the muffler when you moved the muffler..??...doesn't it get alittle warm where it is?
I've never felt any heat coming through from the muffler. Near as I can tell, the muffler runs cooler than the piping. And yes, it's an easy option to move the factory heat shield. I've just never installed it that way.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:55 PM
JK Freak

hey woods -
in this pic from your website:

does the muffler hang down as low as the evap cannister did when it was still in that position?

does the muffler hang down lower than the frame rail?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:59 PM
JK Freak

also, is there any chance you would do the sound testing with a dynamax muffler too!!!!

Quick Reply: Muffler sound comparison, Borla, Magnaflow and Flowmaster