Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

MIG Welder Help

Old 07-04-2011, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah setting the tension helped. I got a gas bottle and switched over to solid wire. MUCH better results.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, from the pic you have a few variables. The jumping around from the wire could be as simple a slowing the wire speed down a bit or add a little more heat. I've been welding for years and use still use flux core wire on occasion. They still give great results, just a little flux spatter and slag that needs to be chipped and wire brushed. For your weld site it definately needed to be paint free as well as the ground point for good a good current arc. If you are new to welding be sure to keep a good puddle in the weld and watch how deep the penetration is. Sometimes it helps to make small circles in the puddle to get a good bead also. Good luck I hope this may be helpful to you.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

It sounds like you said you were running .035 wire first and then you said .025 wire if that is the case you need to make sure that you have the correct tip for the wire you are using. If you are running .025 wire through a .035 tip that would cause alot of problems, the tip is actually your (electrode holder) so to speek and if it isnt the correct size then there's your problem. Once you check that out you can clean your nozzle out and get you some nozzle dip and keep it wet.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default flux core

i Have alot of flux core experince. ive burt a 1000lbs of flux core hardsurfacing wire and it sounded like your problem was that you had to sharp of a bend in your linner. it doesnt take much with that stuff. if i have something on the work bench ill put the slack on a stool or over my shoulder any thing i can do to keep bends out of the lead. another thing to remember is that the flux is what shelds the weld and it is effected by the wind just like welding with gas. you made the right move by buying a tank of gas and a spool of regular mild steel wire. flux core is for special applications such as hardsurfacing even though i still shield it with a stargon tri mix, and for hobby welding for the ease and expense of not having to have a tank and regulator.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I am digging up an old thread...
I figured out the problem. This was stupid and I could have REALLY screwed something up. It turns out that my voltage coming into the welder was effed up...because I didn't have the damn thing wired up right. I KNEW something wasn't right. I switched the green and white wires around in the plug and PRESTO!!!! It worked beautifully! I don't have a helluva lot of welding experience but I can handle a MIG pretty well. Once I fixed the wiring problem the thing worked like I knew it should have.
Thanks for the help gents! I figured I could count on you guys to help out in a pinch.

Quick Reply: MIG Welder Help