Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

MIG Welder Help

Old 07-01-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you have enough pressure on the feed wheel also, inconsistent wire feed will drop the arc.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just cranked the wire feed tension down. No joy.
I know in some of these welders there is a wire or a setting you have to change to go between 208V and 220V. I wonder if this machine has that setting.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Did you make sure that the leads inside the box are set up for flux core?
Positive and negative need to bE switched going from gas to FC.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepguy553
Just cranked the wire feed tension down. No joy.
I know in some of these welders there is a wire or a setting you have to change to go between 208V and 220V. I wonder if this machine has that setting.
Flux core is hollow and VERY fragile. I had a similar problem last year and the guy at my LWS suggested backing off the tension until the wire would not feed, then slowly increase tension just enough to feed. Many times the tension is high enough to crush / distort the wire and cause feeding issues. It was with mine. If that is the case, then cut off the wire already in the gun (about 10') and start fresh.

Also, check your liner. Remove your liner and clean it. Flux core is hard on liners and the liners need to be cleaned more often, sometimes 2 or 3 times per roll.

Last, verify polarity of your leads.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

Just got home from putting a Borla exhaust in my friend's Titan. NICE SET UP BTW!!!

I got a 75/25 bottle this morning and I am about to go hook it all up. I did check the lead polarity last night. I am thinking that the wire feed tension was cranked down too much. I have two spools of 0.025 solid wire and a fresh 80 cu ft bottle of 75/25. I think that should do the trick. Once the 100+ degree heat drops outside I'll go outside and start playing.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I'll post up pics once I get it all figured out. Any JKers in the Shreveport/Bossier area are welcome to come hang out and drink beer while I flop and flail in my carport.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

You should also try cleaning the surface with a grinding wheel. Those looked pretty crappy to weld on. As for the flux core, check the chart on the back cover of your welder, you can actually weld thicker material with flux core because it burns hotter.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

Those pieces of metal were some old bumper scraps I had on hand. You are right. They were really crappy to weld on. I checked the chart on the inside of the welder and the settings didn't even come close to what I needed. Even with the gas today I had to crank the heat up to 'D' to get close-to-decent welds on the square tubing.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can get good welds with flux core wire as long as you have everything set up correctly. You will get more penetration with flux core wire then solid wire and shielding gas. If your polarity is correct make sure that you are not putting too much tension on the spool nut. After that check the wire feed tension spring to make sure that it is putting enough tension on the wire. Also make sure you are using the correct roller. If you are using .035 flux core wire, make sure that you are not using a roller for a larger diameter wire. After that make sure that you are not bending the liner going to the gun at a sharp angle when trying to weld. Try to keep it as straight as possible so that the wire will feed properly and will not bind.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did setting the feed tension work ok? If not you might have to check the liner , you might have dropped something heavy on it and did not noticed . It will cause resistance on the wire and will cause that effect . Had this happen to me a couple of times.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry missed a post or two

Quick Reply: MIG Welder Help