Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Metal Question reguarding building bumpers.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
I got the AtoZ Heavy suty one, has a 3000lb rating, id do it again
Where did you see 3000 lb rating?
Both the standard and heavy duty use a 1" diameter shaft at the bearing journal,
same as a 1000 lb rated trailer shaft. The 1.5" they state on there site is below the bearing journal. I also bought the Heavy duty.
google "Trailer spindle rating". The highest I find for a 1" shaft is 1250 lb rating.

Also see championtrailers.com/spindles_n_parts.htm

Last edited by alancamby; 07-14-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

Local Farm Supply shops have spindles here for 25-30 bucks and they are rated up to 2500#s a piece (5000 per axle). Another thing you might consider when picking your material for your build is your welder's ratings. Most 120 welders will have a HARD time welding 3/16 plate and may exceed the duty cycle and lead to a weaker weld with little penetration. If you have access to a 240 welder you will have a much easier time with the thicker material. The 10 gauge will be fine for most bumpers and your design will influence it's overall strength much more than the material selected. If you make a rectangle and punch it on the flat it will bend, if you have more bends and angles it will transfer the load better and can be built from lighter material. Also, internal rib reinforcements will add huge strength without alot of weight, think about a boat and the ribs that line the hull for an example.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done a fair amount of fabricating and experiemented with alot of different metals. 10 GA is fine for the sheel of the front bumper but I would use atleast the 7 GA (3/16) for the mounts and the base of your winch plate, or better yet use 3 GA (1/4) for the mounts and winch plate. Either one will work fine.

You have to start thinking about weight. Using this heavy of metal adds weight VERY FAST. Next you need to think about how you are going to cut it. Cutting this metal can mean the difference between you ever doing it again or contiuning on to become a very good fabricator. In your average home shop you have common tools like a hande grinder with cut off wheels, Jug Saw with metal cutting blades, chop saw etc. Possible even a torch or plasma cutter. Cutting 3/16 or higher will require a torch or plasma cutter to cut it fast enough that you are not spending all day doing it. Think about those things when you are designing your build.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
I got the AtoZ Heavy suty one, has a 3000lb rating, id do it again
I used the A to Z regular duty one for mine, but if I do another I will use the longer more heavy duty one just for the simple fact that its higher and have more room to weld to.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

Just my .02, I run a fab shop with 12' Shears capable of 1/2", 200 Ton 12' brakes, Plasma table, Miller welders, exc…. I bought my bumpers from Poison Spyder. At some point your time and effort outweighs the reward. If you like a bumper style out there, go buy it and make the changes to it that you want. Don’t get me wrong, I love saying "I built that", but I chose to let PSC do the engineering and have the headaches. Money in the bank decision for me.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Strutssound
Just my .02, I run a fab shop with 12' Shears capable of 1/2", 200 Ton 12' brakes, Plasma table, Miller welders, exc…. I bought my bumpers from Poison Spyder. At some point your time and effort outweighs the reward. If you like a bumper style out there, go buy it and make the changes to it that you want. Don’t get me wrong, I love saying "I built that", but I chose to let PSC do the engineering and have the headaches. Money in the bank decision for me.
I agree with your statement 100% but he may not be at the money/time ratio you are. For years I built my own cause it was cheaper and I like metal fabrication. Now I have no time and do ok with the money (least for this year). But making your own bumpers is a good place to start to learn/love fab work so if you have the time and desire I say go for it.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toymaster
I agree with your statement 100% but he may not be at the money/time ratio you are. For years I built my own cause it was cheaper and I like metal fabrication. Now I have no time and do ok with the money (least for this year). But making your own bumpers is a good place to start to learn/love fab work so if you have the time and desire I say go for it.
X2 on that statement..

Quick Reply: Metal Question reguarding building bumpers.