Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Metal Question reguarding building bumpers.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal Question reguarding building bumpers.

I've been longing to build my own bumpers, and now I have got the template that i would like to use for the front bumper so far. Now that i have the funds to buy the metal I have a new question for all you DIYers. The local metal supply has 3/16 inch 4x8 sheets for about $130 or $140 and the next thinnest is 10 gauge for like $90. I have not seen either and I'm wondering which I should go with. I know almost everyone goes with the 3/16 but I would like to find out what anybody else knows or has found out. I figured I can do probably a front and back bumper out of a 4x8 sheet. Let me know any information at all about your experiences and troubles through these projects. I'm always interested in learning about projects. Sorry so long.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

3/16" is about right for the majority of the shell but you will need thicker gauge material for the structural mounts. I think 1/4" would be the minimum for that. The clevis mounts should be at least 1/2", larger if you can.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:57 PM
JK Newbie

yeah, when i built mine i used 3/16 for the outside of it, 1/4 for the frame mounts and i welded a 1/4 plate to the 3/16 where the frame mount would tee off the face of the bumper. I did that because i slotted a rectangle out for the 1" thick clevis mounts so they would be welded directly to the frame mount.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

10 Gauge is only .1345" thick. 3/16" is .1875. You are closer to a 1/8" metal that is .1250. Go a head with the 3/16", you won't regret it. Also, I see that you are in longview. If you don't mind driving to greenville, there is place there that sells 3/16" 4x8 sheets for about 95. Not sure if it will be cheaper after you calculate the gas in, but it would be worth a shot. Let me know if you want to know the name and I will try to find it out.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:29 PM
JK Newbie

For what it is worth...

I believe the 3/16" material is selected for potential abuse. If you are planning moderate wheeling and could overlook battle (bragging ) scars then the thinner material would work, saves weight too. I agree with others that the attachment points and recovery points need to be of the right material thickness. I believe the AEV front bumper uses less than 3/16" material but is reinforced in areas.

On the material side my local yard has different "grades" of material for sale. Steel that may have minor surface rust (no pitting) in areas or stored outside is ~$65-75 per sheet versus the pristine sheet at $130. My thought is I will be sand blasting or using a flap wheel on the material during construction, so it does not bother me. If I get lucky, material that is dropped off for recycling ranges ~ $0.20-0.25/ lb.

Happy building...
Old 07-10-2010, 10:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I agree, it depends on the abuse it will take. Truth be told unless you get into an accident or wheel like a mad man, you dont need it to be bulletproof, mine literally is cause I used 1/4" all the way around. Yeah its heavy but I got such a great deal I figured why not save hundreds for an extra 25lbs or so. Some may argue itll cost me more in gas in to long run, but for that little weight I can argue if you carry one passenger its many times more weight added, even groceries or daily things people carry are more than the amount from my thicker metal. I dont have many heavy things on my jeep so I didnt mind the thicker metal. Plus unless a HUGE car hits me, its a way safe vehicle from behind now
Old 07-11-2010, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Even at $140, That is CHEAP for TWO bumpers! Don't cheap out on 10 gauge.

Just my $.02
Old 07-12-2010, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Definately have to agree with you guys on the ideas that you have thrown out here. I wasn't really sure what thicknesses I was comparing. Thank you for the tips and info. Although it will not be $140 for both bumpers, It will be most of the cost. The back I'm sure will need a few more dollars thrown at it for the wheel and tire carrier. Is there a website that you can buy the hinges for the tire carrier?
Old 07-12-2010, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrisrennison21
. Is there a website that you can buy the hinges for the tire carrier?
I like the design of "Nates 4X4" hinge
Mine came from" AtoZ fabrication" , but I would not use it again.
Nates is a 3500 lb trailer axle, AtoZ is a 1000 lb.

Edit: "4X4labs" also has a nice looking hinge

Last edited by alancamby; 07-12-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by alancamby
I like the design of "Nates 4X4" hinge
Mine came from" AtoZ fabrication" , but I would not use it again.
Nates is a 3500 lb trailer axle, AtoZ is a 1000 lb.

Edit: "4X4labs" also has a nice looking hinge
I got the AtoZ Heavy suty one, has a 3000lb rating, id do it again

Quick Reply: Metal Question reguarding building bumpers.